CoinPeople.com

Michailovich coin auctioned (5kop1793 no mintmark)

sigistenz

There was a 5kop1793 Paul's reoverstrike in the latest KÜNKER sale. At first glance it looked like just another Paulian 1793EM. Only when comparing my own 1793EMs  with the picture it struck me that the KÜNKER coin lacked the "EM" mintmark. WOW. Looking the coin up in my catalogs was worth an even bigger WOW - the KÜNKER coin is the MICHAILOVICH specimen!!!,  the same picture later borrowed by Brekke, Bitkin, Yusupov, Diakov etc.  The identical MICHAILOVICH picture everywhere. In the Corpus it says, that  the coin was in the Novgorod museum - the Grand Duke did not even own it himself!! WOW.  I had the very very faint hope that the coin might pass under the radar of most people - and  Bingo!  I won it at EURO1600 / $1980. Awful heap of money for me (don't tell my wife) but I never had dreamed of a coin with this pedigree.  It is safe to assume that there is no shaved off "EM" and that the anonymous coin was struck at the Novgorod auxiliary mint. See the Michailovich coin above and the Künker coin below.

Sigi :D

GD5kop1793.jpg1793.jpgfweb.jpg

It's an amazing find Sigi! I can imaging the spectrum of feelings that you went through when you found it, won at the auction and finally got it and held it in your hands for the first time... There is nothing like this hobby, when you can feel at the same time as a historian researcher, an addict and a treasure hunter! Well done finding it and securing it for a hansom, but way under its real price (if you really know what it is). My honest congratulations!

Thank you Eugene and Igor. A 5kop1793 no mintmark was listed in the DUBLETTEN sale, unpictured (Adolph Hess, Frankfurt Germany 1932 -  Dubletten Russischer Museen).  As the Michailovich coin was in the Novgorod Museum it might well have been the one in the Dubletten sale. I'll try to inquire at Künker's. 

Sigi

Very impressive buy !

Did another bidder know its provenance and stopped bidding at 1600 euro ?

5kop1793--nommkfoto.jpg

I could not resist to doctor the dull looking coin a bit, stripped it of some sort of old wax and most of the verdigris. In hand I like it better than before.

Sigi

Very nice one too and the rocket price hit but not from Georgii Mikhailovich collection, thank you for showing !

P. S. I got few overstrikes also and checked with GM corpus and a little upset - did not find even one like from GM collection..  

Included Sigi's coin in the topic I started on SM (modern pictures of coins from corpus of Russian coins): https://translate.google.com.au/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.staraya-moneta.ru%2Fforum%2Fmessages%2Fforum14%2Ftopic203750%2Fmessage2168167%2F%3Fresult%3Dreply%23message2168167&edit-text=&act=url (translated to English version), here is a link to original Russian version: http://www.staraya-moneta.ru/forum/messages/forum14/topic203750/message2168167/?result=reply#message2168167 Now Sigi's coin can be shown in a company with coins from GM and Hermitage collections. :) If you have more modern images of coins from corpus, happy to add them to the topic, if you supply them.

• 1 month later...