CoinPeople.com

Need help with error coin

Wow. I've never seen something like that before. It is on top of the coin, right? (Versus incised on the coin.) If so, that means it is damage on the die. I can't read the year - have you googled to see if there are any errors associated with that year?

An alternate theory - maybe someone melted copper to the face of the coin after it was minted?

It's on top of the coin, both sides, almost looks like a map. My photos dont do it justice. I havent been able to find anything remotely like it and beleive me I've searched. Coin is dated 1996, I emailed Royal Mint who have passed it to The Royal Mint Museum. Can't seem to attach the email from them which confirms it was an error in the minting process. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still not sold that it's a die crack. There should be at least a few other coins out there like it (but not guaranteed). And the cracks don't look like cracks.

But it is the leading option though. 

I'm obviously no expert but thought there might be other coins out there that might show smaller errors and maybe gradually getting more obvious in the build up in the minting process of my coin? Or is that not how it works? Did the minting machine just have a complete breakdown on one coin? Is that possible? Sorry but this coin has fascinated me and the more I look at it the more I see the incrantacey, thanks Sam

Sam, I think the former is correct. Typically you can see the die crack progress across the coins. Small in the first coin and large in the last coin before they notice it and switch out the cracked die. 

As such, you *could* find another coin with an earlier stage of this same crack, but what are the chances you or anyone finds it? 

But this die crack looks quite severe. You'd think we'd see other ones out there! 

It's definitely a keeper. But I think you should go to a dealer and see what they think.