CoinPeople.com
Sign in to follow this  
thefallengavel

What are these tokens

Hi there,

I've been racking my brain over these mystery tokens. They were in an envelope marked Russia America, and are obviously stamped with Cyrillic letters. Somebody on Reddit pointed out that one of them "PAK" could be for the Russian-American Company, but unfortunately the only pieces associated with them I've been able to locate are seal-skin notes. I've been trying to figure out the denomination with the "Y" (ch) letter, but can't figure that out either. Has anybody ever seen these? They look like tin, are about 1-1.3 grams each. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

1.jpg

2.jpg

I searched for "жетон 1/2 КН Ч and РАК 1 Ч" and no suitable results found.

Not sure what that may be and if it is genuine.

Wild guesses: "Ch" may stand for "Chast'" (Russian for "part") or for "Chaj" (Russian for "tea").

What abbreviations KN and RAK(C) stand for, have no idea...

I have never seen these before.  Maybe a private token issued during the war between the Red and White armies?

By the way, the so-called "Seal Skin" notes issued by the Russian America Company are not printed on seal skin.  They are parchment.

Perhaps someone here who is fluent in Russian would be kind enough to post these photos to Staraya Moneta or similar Russian language sites for further information?

As grivna1726 mentioned, PAK (Russian American Company) money were on parchment paper. No coins are known. There is a document from 1803 specifically calling for not having coins for PAK, since locals would most likely use them for other purposes than as money.

On 13 ноября 2017 г. at 6:59 AM, extant4cell said:

Wild guesses: "Ch" may stand for "Chast'" (Russian for "part") or for "Chaj" (Russian for "tea").

"Ч" ("Ch") may also be "Час" ("Chas" = "hour").

I think that those may be imprints made by sealing tool.

Lead seals often has numbers, dates, letters, etc., and even state emblems, thus they may sometimes resemble tokens or coins.

Espesially if the imprint is made not in usual lead but on some other material (as tin in this case).

Some examples of old russian lead seals:

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg