CoinPeople.com

1773 Poltina NGC AU53

mishmash

I won this cool Poltina (Stack's Lot 3330), and noticed this exact example sold raw, has a few auction appearances in the last 10 years or so. The prices realized in all previous sales was pretty much more than what I got it for.

Can anyone advise why is that so, or did I just get lucky? ;)

Russia 1773 Poltina NGC AU53.jpg

Depends on how much you paid for it, I guess. They tried to sell it at NICO in 2014 for around $3000 and it passed on, it was graded as AU50 in 2014, it looks that someone has managed to raise it's grade to AU53. If you could go back in time to 2012 you should be able to double your money. ;) The economy went down and world has changed a little, bringing the prices down on some coins. All that aside, I like your coin and think you may be due to be congratulated! :art:

Thanks, yes I did get it for under $3000, and I understood what you mentioned above.

I actually missed the NIKO sale, and I see it went unsold at 3K thanks for pointing that out. I had thought the last time it came up was in 2012 were it sold for $8600 at Numismatica Genevensis. It sold for almost $13000 a few years before that raw at G&M.

Regardless I am very happy with it. It is well graded and deserves the AU53 designation. While this example has some subtle rub it is overly lustrous, original, and retains much charm.