CoinPeople.com

Need help for this coin (Roi de Belges / Helvetia) 1876

philip2112

Dear collectors,
I have this coin in my collection, however I have hardly any information. The only thing I know is it that is a "test coin" from a new kind of mint press back in the day. Oddly enough it features the King of Belgium (Roi de Belges) on one side with the Helvetia (Switzerland) on the other side. It weighs 6.45g and has a diameter of 21mm.

Any information is highly appreciated :-)

coin.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

philip2112

I seen your post here and found your coin/medal/mule was interesting and posted it on the Numista site.

The members also found the piece interesting. Here are the members thoughts from Numista so far. Ed

PetrusAscanus

Please send the pictures to Marc, he has made a complete inventory of all belgian medals, tokens and jetons.

He propably can help you

marc.willemans@telenet.be

Please keep us informed ... Thanks

apuking

I have some books on swiss patterns, I will check if I can find more information on this mule

5973a79b4d8da.jpg

apuking

Swiss 20 Francs Pattern 1876
Made by the american die cutter and inventor George Fracis Champney while he presented his new coin press machine in Brussels (Belgium) in 1877.

Unfortunatelly he did not achieve to sell a single coin press.

Private minted pattern where original coin dies from two different coins where used.

Of great rarity and if real I think should be graded by one of the two big grading companies if real.

Does the edge say CHAM PNEY BOSTON as it should be?