CoinPeople.com

Foreign bank note knowledge

Tristan

Hi guys,

I am new to collecting banknotes & am going through a few my grandad gave me, can anyone help on these ones that I'm interested by?

The 2 Nederland notes have consecutive serial numbers & the 2 older ones are from Qatar & Dubai currency board, am unsure how to identify/date these.

Many thanks

Tristan.

image.jpg

Welcome to Coinpeople, Tristan! I love collecting banknotes, too.

I don't think the consecutive serial numbers have any added value over the value of the notes.

As for the Qatar and Dubai notes, the red notes is 5 and the green is 1. Beyond that, I can't tell what they say due to the image and due to the fact that my Arabic is very rusty. They can't be more than 10 years old I bet.

Nice, the Qatar & Dubai have some value. This site will help you with identification. http://www.banknote.ws/

QATAR & DUBAI http://www.banknote.ws/COLLECTION/countries/ASI/QDU/QDU.htm

Netherlands http://www.banknote.ws/COLLECTION/countries/EUR/NDL/NDL.htm

• 3 weeks later...

The Dutch notes are nice notes, but fairly common. The consecutives are maybe a small premium, but not much because the condition is not very good. They are from the Netherlands and are dated 1953. You can find that just below "De Nederlandsche Bank" beginning with "Amsterdam..." This note was issued from 1953 until about 1968.

Now, on the other hand, the Qatar and Dubai notes have some serious value to them. These notes were issued PRIOR to the modern state of Qatar's banknotes, when the countries/emirates of Qatar and Dubai established a joint issuing authority. This lasted from 1966 until 1971, when Dubai became a part of the United Arab Emirates. As a result, these notes did not circulate for a tremendous period of time. They are highly sought after in good condition and can bring quite a large sum of money.

As to your notes, I'll assume the rear is similar condition to the front (bad assumption, but for the sake of giving you the most info possible), the 1 riyal note is in maybe 'Fine' condition, but it has a writing notation in the watermark. This takes away from the value a lot, however it is relatively common for these notes in all denominations. I would estimate the value somewhere between $50-$100. I may be a little on the high end.

For the 5 riyal note, it's a bit tougher. The condition is around 'Very Good' but the tape really detracts from the appeal and value quite a lot, in addition to the handwritten notation. These are somewhat scarce, but demand is high, thus prices are high. This is difficult to value, though, because it has a lot riding against it. I would estimate it somewhere in the $100-$150 range even with the damage, but it's really a guess.

If nothing else, I want to give you an idea of the desirableness of these notes. I'd be very happy if I happened to stumble upon these in my granddad's belongings!

• 2 years later...