CoinPeople.com

USSR Coins

livingdead90

I recently bought some USSR coins off eBay, and I seem to have found an issue with some of them cracking, among other things with a few of them.

My question is, is this what those things are supposed to do after 40 years, or are they fake? I've never seen a coin break, and I was able to bend the broken portion into a snapping point, if I try hard enough, I think they'll become dust.
They're not magnetic, so I know there isn't rust.
I just can't see why anyone in their right mind would counterfeit USSR coins.

IMG_3204 copy.jpg
IMG_3205 copy.jpg

Since this hasn't been viewed yet, I also have a question about these coins...
They're supposed to be USSR 1920's silver. My question in particular is about the top right coin, it's a 1925, 15 Kopeck, the thing is he had several other listing of similar batches, and the 1925-15's all seem to have similar wear where the globe/sickle/hammer is supposed to be, this is one of the better examples since you actually see a bit of the outline. Maybe only one or two of them had the full thing and he listed maybe 5 or 6.. I just ordered about $30 of these off the guy, but I haven't paid yet since I'm waiting on bids that I might win. What do you all think? Am I about to be ripped off?

s-l1600.jpg

welcome

livingdead90

:)

About the cracking coins - I have a nice collection of USSR coins and never encounter that kind of cracking, even on some pretty dented coins I have, cant break, or bend them for that matter. can you post a photo of a coin with a crack, before breaking it in half or bending it? What years are they?

About the silver coins - I don't have much experience with silver USSR coins, but I will try comparing it to some of my other USSR coins, what year are they?

welcome

livingdead90

:)

About the cracking coins - I have a nice collection of USSR coins and never encounter that kind of cracking, even on some pretty dented coins I have, cant break, or bend them for that matter. can you post a photo of a coin with a crack, before breaking it in half or bending it? What years are they?

About the silver coins - I don't have much experience with silver USSR coins, but I will try comparing it to some of my other USSR coins, what year are they?

Oh, I went through all of them and snapped the ones I could, I figured, if they fake they need to be broken, if they're real, I just made some years become rarer (even though they're not really rare yet).

Most are like '62 or '82. The thing about the ones I posted, I can keep breaking them if I wanted to, but when I take a knife to the discolored edges, they appear to be copper underneath.

It reminds me that they were in a fountain or something and somehow the inside rotted, but not the outside.

I have one or two solid ones where I can feel it breaking inside, but the outside is still too strong to break them.

Oh, I went through all of them and snapped the ones I could, I figured, if they fake they need to be broken, if they're real, I just made some years become rarer (even though they're not really rare yet).

Most are like '62 or '82. The thing about the ones I posted, I can keep breaking them if I wanted to, but when I take a knife to the discolored edges, they appear to be copper underneath.

It reminds me that they were in a fountain or something and somehow the inside rotted, but not the outside.

I have one or two solid ones where I can feel it breaking inside, but the outside is still too strong to break them.

I went through all of my USSR, none of them crack that way, or even bend at all for the matter.Even the cracked and chipped ones. I think something is fishy here.

As for the silver coins, I haven't found that same design BUT all of my USSR coins aren't silver. So I cant help in this department.

Hope this helps. best of luck :)

The later Soviet era coins were struck of aluminum bronze. As no one has really investigated how Moscow and Leningrad mint struck their coins - this might be an interesting discovery. It might be possible that some coins were plated copper and then moved to aluminum bronze alloy.

There are some counterfeits where key dates are involved. The silver coins seem genuine as discussed in other forum.