CoinPeople.com

Latest bulk token buy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you focus on?

Right now, "Ooo, shiny!"

Actually, I did pick up the US Mint's medal honoring both the Apollo XI mission and John Glenn, and I'll be getting the ones they issued in honor of Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Byron Nelson. The local science museum has three, all of which I've picked up. And there's a Yuri Gagarin medal I picked up that includes metal from Vostok-1, as well as a diminutive Franklin Mint issue that includes metal from one of the Apollo missions -- by includes, I mean they put some in the melt, not that there's a specific embedded chunk.

So, space, science, and golf. There's a combination. Although I know ultimately my criterion is "Ooo, shiny!" :)

Yes, Focus can be important and shiny is as good a place to start. Biggest problem is in finding them at prices you can live with. The bulk buy of the generic tokens has come to an end since there hasn't been much coming into the LCS. I do have over 300 Mardis Gras throws I have to photo yet along with a group of Franklin mint America's historic moments rounds about 50 of a set of two hundred, with some car wash tokens and Adult themed video tokens That have to be cleaned up as not to offend some people. Although kids see more on TV and the net.

I personally find some of Yarms Historic medals great to look at but wouldn't collect them, or the CWT's or some of the real old items. But there are numerous areas and themes that are out there for collecting.

Yes, Focus can be important and shiny is as good a place to start. Biggest problem is in finding them at prices you can live with. The bulk buy of the generic tokens has come to an end since there hasn't been much coming into the LCS. I do have over 300 Mardis Gras throws I have to photo yet along with a group of Franklin mint America's historic moments rounds about 50 of a set of two hundred, with some car wash tokens and Adult themed video tokens That have to be cleaned up as not to offend some people. Although kids see more on TV and the net.

I personally find some of Yarms Historic medals great to look at but wouldn't collect them, or the CWT's or some of the real old items. But there are numerous areas and themes that are out there for collecting.

What's the most you've paid for a token or a medal, Circus?

For one token I would say no more than $15.00. I have paid over $200.00 for large collections. My LCS knows he can generally move tokens, Mardi Gras throws and most general type tokens, transit tokens. So if he will get them at a good price he will do a quick flip to me. Lately they seem to have dried up maybe I will be able to get caught up photoing the ones I haven't done yet. When this hobby hits a dry stretch. I just go to anther one for a while.

Well I have to amend my post above, as today while in the LCS he had a small bulk bag and a number of 50% off tokens in the bargain bin. One is a bi-metallic coal company from King-Harlan Co store token for .05 I paid $20.00

• 4 weeks later...

For the older crowd you may remember, the Airstream travel trailer caravan clubs trips of large numbers of people that would go as a group to various exotic places pulling their Silver bullet trailers. Here is a key chain token/dangle from one of the trips to a U S city
35529566020_bb7d2c628e.jpg
35077941204_29e2b6d97e.jpg

https://www.airstream.com/blog/origin-of-airstream-numbers/

Byam famously led caravans worldwide as publicity exercises for the Airstream brand. His most notable caravan was a 1959 sojourn from Cape Town, South Africa to Nairobi, Kenya. A recreation of Byam's legendary Cape Town to Nairobi caravan was scheduled to take place in 2009. However, the planned tour was canceled due to safety and political concerns, and the prohibitive insurance costs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wally_Byam

https://www.google.com/search?q=Airstream+caravan+club&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

They had a magazine that came out monthly, We never got one as my mother didn't like trailing. We had another brand and used it only once for a 4 week trip. she hated it and there wasn't more long trips. Dad did take the magazine for years and I think he did it just to irritate her! Of course being a kid none of the inter play made sense till I was well approaching old fart hood!

As a side note the first truck I bought when I got out of the navy, was a Chevy Suburban that was owned by an active member of the club didn't find out later the dealer lied about the mileage and You could see were they placed a sheet of paper between the customers copy and carbon paper. I ran into the original owner as it was custom black paint ,4 speed low gear trans, stainless exhaust system and some other special heavy duty items I got it in 73. I use to see it in a lot at a factory, on my way to work. It still had the curtains the wife made for it that was in 1991

https://www.airstream.com/blog/origin-of-airstream-numbers/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wally_Byam

https://www.google.com/search?q=Airstream+caravan+club&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

They had a magazine that came out monthly, We never got one as my mother didn't like trailing. We had another brand and used it only once for a 4 week trip. she hated it and there wasn't more long trips. Dad did take the magazine for years and I think he did it just to irritate her! Of course being a kid none of the inter play made sense till I was well approaching old fart hood!

As a side note the first truck I bought when I got out of the navy, was a Chevy Suburban that was owned by an active member of the club didn't find out later the dealer lied about the mileage and You could see were they placed a sheet of paper between the customers copy and carbon paper. I ran into the original owner as it was custom black paint ,4 speed low gear trans, stainless exhaust system and some other special heavy duty items I got it in 73. I use to see it in a lot at a factory, on my way to work. It still had the curtains the wife made for it that was in 1991

What was your Navy career? Thank you for your service. My father was in the Navy. I have worked for the Navy for many, many projects. Loads of my friends are ex-Navy.

Was a electricians mate, and four 2 years was stationed at Sugar Grove West Va. as a driver. Found out later that it was listed in a book about secret and underground bases. It was so secret that all the goings on there were invisible :ninja:

A couple appear to be wire brushed It is for the guy that invented a low temperature type and brand of welding alloy rod. It was for his 80th birthday in 1953. It is the first welding related token key chain tag I have seen