CoinPeople.com

Tip: Micro Coin Photography

Guest Stujoe

Guest Stujoe

Here is something that I heard about on one of the coin forums and couldn't believe I didn't think of it myself.

Like a lot of collectors, I have a digital camera and a loupe. I found that I can take reasonably good closeups by putting the loupe in front of the camera and taking pictures through the digital viewfinder. It takes a fairly steady hand and some trial and error but here are some example pictures:

loupe1.jpg

loupe2.jpg

loupe3.jpgloupe4.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a setup that I use and I am pretty happy with it. It was the least expensive unit I could find and works ok for an amateur like me. The stand could definitely be sturdier, but a copystand makes things a lot easier. The daylight bulbs they have work well too. Have not used the tent though.

http://store.tabletopstudio-store.com/ezprost.html

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

12" is a little small for a copystand for me. Does anyone know a good place to get/browse copystands? 24"-36" up would work better for me.

I've tried the loop in front of the lense thing but haven't had much luck. I don't have much luck with the loop alone, I guess I need a steadier hand.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

You may want to also check out web sites like bhphotvideo.com. B&H are one of the largest suppliers of camera equipment around. There are also other alternatives in the lower price ranges. For example check to see if you camera has a threaded filter ring in the front of the lens. If so check camera web sites for supplies or go to a camera store and look into enlarging filters. Vivitar makes a +1, +2, +3 set in numerous mm sizes for cameras. These added to your front lenses will also give you an enlargement. Also, if you check out magnifying web sites you'll find some with a builtin light and a small area that magnifies about 8X and the main one is about 3X. If your camera is not a thing of beauty why not just tape a magnifier to the front of the camera. One more thing you may want to do is check out on the internet if there are any camera shows in your area. Here in Illinois there is at least one a month. At such shows you can usually acquire a decent digital camera for a really cheap price. I have 5 of them and the cost was less than if I bought just one in a store. Also, at such shows you will meet manyh professional photographers that really know what they are talking about.