CoinPeople.com

Transit Tokens vol 1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears there are a couple big dogs in the business, Like Osborne coinage. At one time Cincinnati had more coining firms than any other city in America. They were and refereed to as trade checks, An old line company is C.C. Wright of Cinci. they are using the same equipment,die punches,and stock dies that they have used for over 70 years this was published in the late 60's.

The other part of the reason can be that the companies that are were supplying the trade checks, would get them form another company that made them. Like A.E. Schmidt which was a billard table manufacturer but sold trade checks. They were made by S.G. Adams Stamp and stencil Co. out of St. Louis. Some of the die's are so old that they will only strike them in aluminum now, as they will crack if struck into brass!

Scovill manufacturing Co of Waterbury Ct made tokens for about 125 years giving it up in the 50's there have been dozens of companies over the last 150 years making tokens. Some were button makers that made tokens as a side line. Grant money meters inc a turnstile maker, along with Meyer & Wenthe So you see It is hard for even the American Vecturist Association doesn't have a good idea of who made what :crazy:

Thanks for the background information!

It appears there are a couple big dogs in the business, Like Osborne coinage. At one time Cincinnati had more coining firms than any other city in America. They were and refereed to as trade checks, An old line company is C.C. Wright of Cinci. they are using the same equipment,die punches,and stock dies that they have used for over 70 years this was published in the late 60's.

The other part of the reason can be that the companies that are were supplying the trade checks, would get them form another company that made them. Like A.E. Schmidt which was a billard table manufacturer but sold trade checks. They were made by S.G. Adams Stamp and stencil Co. out of St. Louis. Some of the die's are so old that they will only strike them in aluminum now, as they will crack if struck into brass!

Scovill manufacturing Co of Waterbury Ct made tokens for about 125 years giving it up in the 50's there have been dozens of companies over the last 150 years making tokens. Some were button makers that made tokens as a side line. Grant money meters inc a turnstile maker, along with Meyer & Wenthe So you see It is hard for even the American Vecturist Association doesn't have a good idea of who made what :crazy:

Oh! I've seen some of Osborne's fantasy coins at Origins; they're quite nice, actually. They're still around, though they seem to have two websites, Osborne Mint and Osborne Coinage.

Did you ever find a list of all the tokens with letter cutouts? I've looked but am not finding the collection I was thinking of.

I haven't had time to go thru the book yet. It covers all the states, Canadian provinces and the Philippines so one would have to go thru each state and check for cities bus companies with the Z and X , Y V Just checking Ohio I know there is a Xenia, Vermilion, Youngstown and Zanesville Ohio, in checking the book All of those had some form of tokens one is wood, and one is a ferry across the river. So I would say the chances are very good in finding all 26!

On the D.A.T.A. piece on the first page, the "T.A." at the end likely stands for "Transit Authority" so it'd be down to looking for an place with the initials D.A. (e.g. "Dallas Area", just to throw a random example out)

On the D.A.T.A. piece on the first page, the "T.A." at the end likely stands for "Transit Authority" so it'd be down to looking for an place with the initials D.A. (e.g. "Dallas Area", just to throw a random example out)

Since it can be any where in the states, Canada and US possessions and the Philippines that the books cover, It might take a long time to find it. As the latest update for the list of alphabetical listings doesn't have anything