CoinPeople.com

Ripon medal, Earl de Grey

I wish I had taken a picture of this when I first received it as a greenish disc. Fortunately the verdigris was only surface and olive oil has worked its magic. Still a little way to go but it is encouraging.

The subject matter is more difficult.

In commemoration of Frederick Oliver Earl de Grey attaining his majority.. January 29 1873.

I have yet to find any record of another, but that may be the search terms I'm using.

DSCN3822-horz_zpss83e2pss.jpg

I will look further but found this,

"A commemoration medal was struck on the occasion, which was designed by Mr. Alderman Collinson, and so highly was the idea appreciated that the whole were disposed of immediately on their arrival, so that a second issue became necessary. The medal on the one side contained the arms of the house of Studley, with the words, "In commemoration of Frederick Oliver Earl de Grey attaining his majority, January 29, 1873." On the other side were the arms of Ripon, surmounted by the spurs and the words "Civitas Riponensis." A number of these were struck in silver, and six in silver, treble-gilt, were presented by the Mayor of Ripon to the Marquess, Marchioness, Earl de Grey, Lady Mary Vyner, Mr. H. F. C. Vyner, and Captain R. Vyner"

When I am searching(I always use google) I find often that the whole legend is a detriment to a search, as often only some of the legend is on any particular page, so I tend to use small segments as you said, I just used "Civitas Riponensis" and it popped up.

Found it listed in BHM#2957 AE R. WM R.

What is "treble-gilt"?

Also, I've never tried the olive oil method. One of you guys should do a video or photo gallery of the before, during, and after.

What is "treble-gilt"?

I had not heard the term before.

Apparently the term is often used in regards to uniform buttons.

It was supposed to denote a higher standard of gilding than usual.
Mercury with three times the weight of gold compared to a standard gilt was used in the gilding process.