CoinPeople.com

Well, they nailed that error type...

ikaros

Heritage is auctioning the weirdest error coin I've ever seen -- and if I had the scratch, it's weird enough to get even non-error-collecting me to bid on it: a US dime struck on a 6d nail.

I mean, seriously. The images are well worth a look (and they won't let me embed them here anyway).

Wow! What an error. I have to wonder how this happened and how it made it out of the Mint.

One of the news sites says there's a chance it was deliberate, but no one seems to know. I can't imagine how -- the machines that bang out business strikes go pretty fast. I wouldn't want to get my hand anywhere near the die and I don't see how a nail could have been fed with the other blanks.

So far they haven't, and HA isn't a little off the beaten path auction site. Surely they know about it by now. I don't think there's anything in it for the Mint to interfere in the auction. If a whole slew of dimes-on-nails suddenly appeared, then they'd probably have cause to act.

1) Kudos to the maker of that holder!

2) It must be deliberate. That is a very nice looking nail. What are the chances there is a nail that nice ends up rattling through that system and into that press?

3) How does a nail accidentally get into the press without rattling off!

4) Agree that it is weird that the Mint hasn't seized it.

• 2 months later...

Fresh from China

Heh, I'll be very surprised if PCGS grades any of those.

I did go back and look -- the nail-dime was expected to go for $10,000, and ultimately went for $42,300. Wow.

If I had nine grand to spare, I might consider that.

I just noticed that the Chinese forgeries aren't even current issue coins -- I see Seated Lib quarters and Mercs and a Wheatie in there. Well, no, I take that back, I see some Washington quarter reverses there... but the eagle back, which of course hasn't been around in almost 20 years now.

And aren't those nails in remarkable shape for being anywhere from 20 to 180 years old... :rofl:

For the genuine ones (which I don't have full confidence that they weren't purposefully created), how often do non-coin blanks sneak between the dies?

Australia's managed a couple beauts - this A$2 struck on a washer:

australia-1992-2-dollar-holed.jpg

Plausible, if the washer is roughly the same size as the blank, I can imagine one falling into the bin.

Harder to explain is this Australian 20c piece struck on a bolt (and a normal 20c blank):

20c-error-bolt.jpg