CoinPeople.com

New to forum and collecting....had a question on dime I have...

Have been going through my change for a few years now, but only last few months have I started looking for stamping errors, double dies, and such. A few days ago while giving my a change a quick once over, I saw this dime. 1985 D Is this a stamping error or does anyone have an idea what it is? The back has the same thing but just less pronounced. I tried to get best pics I could. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I can get you pics from angles or with more/less lighting if need be.

5ba8b577-29c9-48d9-af8c-afba0ccdcf96_zps3d499a02-5be6-4e2d-a3d4-28e1cc28636d_zps

IMHO. Might have has some off-center strike characteristics when new - common for this series. But what appears here is really just wear.

I have never seen a coin wear an outer ring only. The side is not worn and there isnt any difference in color. The middle back of the coin is in better shape than the front. Most all coins I see, this area is one of last areas to visibly show wear due to it being protected in a sense by the rim of the coin.