CoinPeople.com

Two silver dollars

Ash

Hi Ash!

Welcome to Coinpeople!

Great question. First, what does your gut tell you? Even if you don't know a lot about coins, your gut does. My gut says "yuck!"

Then there's a quick google search. 1879 was apparently a year that coin was created. However, 1789 was about 70 years before the design was created - fake!

You could also get a scale to see what the 1879 coin weighs compared to what the resources online say.

But... your gut should still be yelling "fake!"

Thedeadpoint was trying to be polite, but I'll be a bit more blunt - these are modern copies made in China for the tourist trade, where people often pay a few dollars for them thinking "well, it's just a few dollars" except the odds of buying a real one on the street is far worse than winning Powerball, and even if real, the return would also pale by far to a lotto win.

If you got them as a gift from someone, I'd thank them for their gesture, but if you bought them and it's not too late to return them, I'd so do.