CoinPeople.com

1788 2 kopecks overstrike on 1723 type of St. Andrew's 5 kopecks

Do you have any good examples of 1788 2k on cruciform 5k? I understand this a reasonably rare overstrike that skipped 1k 1755, 2k 1757, 4k 1762 and back to 2k 1763-4-ect... till 1788. The condition of this coin is not great and it's hard to be 100% sure that his is 5k to 2k 1788 overstrike, without other types, but it looks that way nonetheless... What do you think?

post-28111-0-38984100-1422313957_thumb.j

post-28111-0-21950000-1422313950_thumb.j

It's interesting to see how some of the older coins survived for a period of time and finally met its fate to be overstruck.

Here's another example that missed a few overstrike events, this being a rather scarce 1796 4 kopek.

http://www.m-dv.ru/monety-rossii-1700-1917/prohod,38635/coins,3387/type,5978/auction,24/date,2010-01-28/lot,1196/images-prohod.html

I have a 1793 2k EM overstruck over 1796 4 kopek and I was researching about it.

They are more common around 1763, etc... the further into the century we go the less common they become. There are even some 1793 Paul's recoining of 2 kopecks that used 1762 Peter III for a base, you may see some on MD site if look through the the sales. The coolest Paul recoining of 2 kopecks would be on 5 kopecks or on 1 kopeck... if one would ever be found...

There's definitely some interesting history behind them. Such overstrikes are definitely somewhat underrated in my opinion. The way I see it is that the banks must have accumulated unusable coinage and sent them to be the mints to be destroyed. This did not happen and the mints just overstruck them. Out of all major overstruck event, I reckon 1795 MM series is the toughest, excluding all other offside / one off overstrikes, 1795 MM 5 kopek being the toughest as Moscow Mint mostly overstruck over 1762 10 kopek.

More than a decade ago, I remember there was an overstruck coin over a pattern. Can't quite remember what it is now but I'm certain the underlying host was a 1724 kopek with the word kopek in a square pattern instead of the rectangular pattern. Another one is a 1730 denga which showed a rather clear feature of the 1724 kopek.

There's a couple more hypothetical overstruck coins in my opinion that could have happened but yet to be proven -

1) Overstruck 5 kopek over counterfeit 5 kopek. I cannot see why this couldn't have happened.

2) Overstruck 5 kopek over the illusive 1757 5 kopek, which is supposedly missing commemorative coin from Sestroretsk mint. Problem is no one really knows what they even look like for starters!

I suspect the discovery could be made any time in the near future. Afterall, I did suspect a while back that Sestroretsk mint was known to overstrike 1 ore coins into 1 kopek and there was no reason why 2 ore coins couldn't have been used to overstrike to 2 kopek coins.

There's a couple more hypothetical overstruck coins in my opinion that could have happened but yet to be proven -

1) Overstruck 5 kopek over counterfeit 5 kopek. I cannot see why this couldn't have happened.

2) Overstruck 5 kopek over the illusive 1757 5 kopek, which is supposedly missing commemorative coin from Sestroretsk mint. Problem is no one really knows what they even look like for starters!

I suspect the discovery could be made any time in the near future. Afterall, I did suspect a while back that Sestroretsk mint was known to overstrike 1 ore coins into 1 kopek and there was no reason why 2 ore coins couldn't have been used to overstrike to 2 kopek coins.

1) did you mean 2k on counterfeit 5k of 1723 type? I wouldn't expect many counterfeit 5 kopeck 1758 type, since "what's the point?"

2) sometimes one may run into a coin that has mysterious "left-over" images, but as to 1757 sestroretsk coin... I appreciated your sarcasm ( http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php/topic/35918-aint-she-sweeet-5kop1757/ ) :)

This one is not on a 5 копеек 1757 from сестрорецк :), but it shows an interesting undercoin image...

Can you guess what coin is it from?

post-27191-0-24851600-1416921238_thumb.j

Too long and curvature of a "E" cipher doesn't fit, if that's what you ment. I tried to overlay different images on top of this left-over image, nothing I knew did fit... I had this picture for a few month now, and I only yesterday, when I had another look at it, and figured it out. :) The problem was that I was fixated on that line image, too similar to the cipher lines. There are some other leftover images there that will help you. Also, have a look through the cipher, it kind of continues toward "1" in a date, so it's not part of cipher for sure. One crazy idea was, that it possibly was an an outskirt of the die, but that die would be 2-3 times larger than the dies for 5 kopecks, plus the curvature isn't constant it changes, so it's not part of a full circle, it must be a part of an image, but the idea wasn't that far off. :) Another idea was that may be a medal was involved here? But no, it's so much simpler! A very unlikely left-over image from the same coin... If you didn't figured that out yet, you will in a second... Here is the coin in full beauty:

post-21700-0-29144200-1416918728_thumb.j post-21700-0-82908900-1416918734_thumb.j

post-21700-0-18870500-1416918784_thumb.jpost-21700-0-11754800-1416918789_thumb.j
just note the reverse E and an eagle's hand over 88...

As we started on strange and unusual overstrikes / corrective strikes. Here is a little bit on 1802 2 kopecks:

post-12424-0-79338000-1432662769_thumb.ppost-12424-0-10915200-1432662789_thumb.p

post-12424-0-73567900-1432662684_thumb.p

post-12424-0-96909600-1432662691_thumb.p

This is a corrective "mini" overstrike of an early 1802 EM production, that was not in line with the full instructions. Nothing too unusual, but still exciting overstrike.

Next one, due to the quality of photo, is hard to figure out, but I think I know where your mind will take you... ;) Who knows? Experements were done in the early days, and not all of them recorded... Any one dares to share your wildest ideas?

1802 2 k interesting.jpg

Apart from being a possible interesting "overstrike", it also has a very interesting reverse die with dots sitting too high up. Very rare too! Interesting to know if you'd know of any auction-sales of coins with this reverse die. There is one description of it in Kazbek Temeryaev's catalog on 1802 kopecks, but no price tags attached... And in fact it's the same coin... ;)

Yes, it does, but not as a type. Depending on the left-over image and on the new coin's attributes anywhere from R1 to R5. This is not exactly a type of a coin (he describes types), as a God's given chance of getting good under-image with EM showing... There are lot's more of them that show different degree of under-coin. As always, the more the merrier, and the better image the rarer the coin. The one like here is pretty dam rare...

There are some other very rare variants. I only know one coin, so far, with dots on top of the nominal (not under, as on other coin), and the one with 6 rings on the nominal side (not the usual 5), the other rare one is with nominal missing, only the year and EM present. These are the most unusual reverse sides of that coin.

To see, why the 2 dots over the nominal so unusual for this coin, you can watch a little video that compares the usual central location (under nominal) with a higher up (over): https://youtu.be/wA-rGzAJ9o4

Here is the one I have:

1802 pic 5.jpg

It's like the one from Willy Bakken's collection:

683170.m.jpg

but mine has a dot after the year, like on the very first original coins that later were overstruck with new, standard design coins.

I expect there were no ghostly mintmarks on any of the 5 kopecks? ;)

Sorry, missed reading the conversation earlier.

I had to look at the 1788 5 kopek carefully and the line really doesn't make much sense. At first, I thought it was an off center 1757-1762 5 kopek with Elizabeth I monogram. The die clash with the letter E (above the number 8) makes it a lot more confusing. What I am more troubled is that if this is indeed an overstrike, there should be more details of the underlayer on the reverse from my experience.

post-21700-0-29144200-1416918728_thumb.j post-21700-0-82908900-1416918734_thumb.j

I know... it is very confusing. But there is no die clash here, there is an incurs. A previous strike's coin got in a way and was pressed itor this on. The reverse "E" and the line, all part of one after image from that incident. The line was pressed by the empty space of a lower part or the legend thing and the edge of the die, Go figure... :) how it survived the corrective strike!?