CoinPeople.com

5kop1810KM - ex Brekke Collection

sigistenz

Half of the collecting fun (if not more) is showing off :crazy:

Here is my new pride, a piece from the Brekke Collection.

I remember Bernhard - now I have a souvenir.

Sigi

09Ozh9.jpg

KFGNQl.jpg

He came to see me from time to time - I lived then in Cologne, Germany. Last time was 1989 when he popped up unexpectedly out of the blue (he lived in Mexico), wanting to buy my 1726 kopek. I sold it to him for ~ $2400

But in the New York Sale 2 or 3 years ago that very coin (referenced to as ex-Brekke) was sold at $125.000.....50x my selling price...

:cry: Sigi

He came to see me from time to time - I lived then in Cologne, Germany. Last time was 1989 when he popped up unexpectedly out of the blue (he lived in Mexico), wanting to buy my 1726 kopek. I sold it to him for ~ $2400

But in the New York Sale 2 or 3 years ago that very coin (referenced to as ex-Brekke) was sold at $125.000.....50x my selling price...

:cry: Sigi

Is that the one? 1_4eea0e625bad6.jpg

And congrats on 5 kopecks - very nice!!!

I only have one or two of his coins in my collection - 1796EM Paul overstrike 5K (plate coin in Diakov) is probably the best.

Interesting coincidence. I do not have too many copper coins at this point, but I also have 2 Paul re-overstrikes from Brekke auction - lot 1515 and lot 1521

Yes, Eugene and Igor, that was my coin.

I'll better start a new topic on "the 1726 kopek", it is quite a story, I think I might still have a letter of the late V.V. Uzdennikov somewhere. All this was 25-30 years ago.

Give me a few days :pardon: .

Sigi

I'll better start a new topic on "the 1726 kopek", it is quite a story, I think I might still have a letter of the late V.V. Uzdennikov somewhere. All this was 25-30 years ago.

Sigi

:evilbanana: Perhaps you could incorporate that story as a preface to your someday (I can dream, cant I?) definitive reference book on the large copper coinage of the Russian Empire, 1758-1810, with color glossy plates, of course.

You certainly have done the research! :drinks:

Josh, seeing this I have to get me a bottle of beer..... minute!

Over the lips an down the gums

watch out stomach - here it cums

Cheers! :drinks:

Interesting coincidence. I do not have too many copper coins at this point, but I also have 2 Paul re-overstrikes from Brekke auction - lot 1515 and lot 1521

All in good hands then :yes: 1515 and 1521 are very nice! Mine is 1523.

We should have a Brekke collection reunion party. I'm sure Mr BKB can bring along some dazzlers.

• 2 weeks later...

Sigi

Hi Sigi,

Interesting,1726 was holding by collector from NY , according his words was holding for long time.I refused his personal offer for 2 coins (incl.Ex Sigi coin) because price was to high :(

Rarenum

• 1 month later...

Sigi

Hi Sigi, very interested to hear out your story! Where did it came to you from, and in which year? Were there any other coins acquired by you at the same time? As an example, did you get that coin from the same source you got the 4 kopecks 1762? This is a pic from here http://coins.su/forum/index.php?showtopic=154990&p=1690175 where your coin was mentioned in a thread. Your ex is in a good company on this pic from Markov (?). Thanks go to IgorS I guess... :) Really beautiful coin! Brekke knew what he was after, as there are only 6 of these coins know (4 set of dies), if I'm not mistaken...

post-35877-0-20065200-1426085754_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Sigi

:pilot: Sigi, where are you? We are waiting for your much anticipated story :drool: please, please, please! I am checking the forum daily for a new topic "1726 kopek" from you... Can we have it? :bhyper:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello dear Sigistenz!
(In advance I ask to forgive me, I write through the online translator)
My name is Ruslan, I'm from Russia, Moscow. Joined the forum to Express my admiration for Your collection.
Your page http://www.sigistenz.com in my bookmarks :), study, compare, seek to collect such a beautiful collection of dimes.
Please tell me how long ago you started to gather Your collection?

How did You get started and how they came to what would collect these coins?

Thank You very much.
Sincerely,
Ruslan

:art:

Hello Ruslan, thank you for the praise. I am a German and I do not have Russian roots. I have been a collector all my life. In 1962 I became active with coins. Maybe 10 years later I bought a copper 5 kopek of Catherine II at a coin show. That made me start with Russian coins and specialize in them. I love copper. I have been collecting the large Russian and Siberian copper coins for more than 40 years. :crazy: Yes, I am crazy.

Tell us something about yourself and your coins.

Best, Sigi