CoinPeople.com

2010 British 2-pound coin with a super-clash

genius.kosala

Here are some photos of the 2010 British 2-pound coin with a super-clash. The reverse die was rotated about 120 degrees counter clockwise relative to the obverse face. Can some one tell me how much it will be worth?please some one can answer how much it will be worth? I can't find any information about internet ,as I seen on article The Top Twenty Five Die Clashes with coin this is 9th place

Do not copy image All Rights Reserved.

Untitled1.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi there, I'm sorry to come in on this discussion late.

Yes it does appear you have a coin produced by the same dies as in that article, but in a fake production line. For starters the reverse 'hologram' appears not holographic but instead is simply four curled flat spaces in the grooved area. The dots in the obverse inscription are far too large. The font is chunkier with much bigger squarer serifs. Also on the reverse I can see the W is too far from the next O. Also if you look at a standard 'real' £2 or image, in the outer ring network design, the end node by the upper right hand corner of the date is virtually equidistant from the two nearest nodes, but not on these. On these, "TWO POUNDS" is closer than standard to the network nodes on either side; the next diamond to the right is the wrong shape, and so on.

However these are very interesting coins in the story of some recent and continuing fakes where the gang(s) have used dies painstakingly re-engraved to spoof the real thing, rather than automatically imaged dies. Both £1 and truly bi-metallic £2 have been faked this way. The continued emergence of new versions of these strongly suggests they have not caught all the people doing it. It has been emerging that the Chinese have faked several £2 designs as was predicted last year. I suspect though that these particular ones, to a lower quality control standard, were made closer to home.

I'd be really really interested to know: was/is the edge blank or did it have reeding and/or inscription? Can you furnish any pictures of these? As that would further illuminate the story of its relationship with other fake £2 examples.

As regards value, one different but not dissimilar recently sold for about £17 on ebay and others have fetched double figures, certainly some of the people bidding for this sort of thing want them for being fake even if they are not listed as such, though others may think they are genuine.

• 2 months later...