CoinPeople.com

TPG coins with no quantitative grade?

Lil_Lincoln

Hey everyone, I've come across a few coins graded by NGC that don't have any numerical grade, just a vague qualitative designation like "Gem Proof" or "Gem Mint." These all happened to have been modern foreign coins, but I'm not sure if that played any role. To clarify, I'm not talking about the Details Grade that NGC gives for improperly cleaned or damaged coins, such as "UNC. DETAILS" or "AU DETAILS." These were simply slabbed coins that said "Gem Proof" with no other designation. They also aren't "merely certified" coins that have been slabbed as authentic with no grade at all--like I said, they give a vague idea of the coin's grade range, but that's it.

I get that a Gem Mint coin or Gem Proof are MS-65/PF-65 or above, but I'm still a little perplexed. Has anyone else seen these, or know what the deal is?

Thanks!

I've only seen that type of grading on Sample Slabs for both NGC and PCGS. I'd be interested in seeing an example of the slabs you've mentioned.

Huh... Someone in the Russian forums was saying NGC is now displaying "this coin may have been cleaned in the past" and still giving a numerical grade.

• 3 weeks later...

^Yeh, I wonder if that will be less confusing than the current "Details" nomenclature for cleaned/problem coins, or if it will actually be more confusing because there is a number assigned to it.

166719_167208_m.jpgIn any case, here's a picture of a coin like the one I was talking about--and perhaps it is simply a grading sample? Not sure.166719_167209_m.jpg

^Yeh, I wonder if that will be less confusing than the current "Details" nomenclature for cleaned/problem coins, or if it will actually be more confusing because there is a number assigned to it.

166719_167208_m.jpgIn any case, here's a picture of a coin like the one I was talking about--and perhaps it is simply a grading sample? Not sure.166719_167209_m.jpg

Doesn't look like a sample to me. I'm guessing it's a service being offered by PCGS specifically for these silver NCLT coins. Perhaps being done by PCGS in China for their native coins only. I'm not sure. A good question to post to PCGS directly.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, good point, Art! I'll see if I can't get some info from PCGS themselves. I'm almost positive I've seen NGC do something similar, too. I understand when a TPG decides to slab a coin and authenticate it without giving a grade attribution, but I'm really not understanding the generic "grade range" designation, like Gem BU. I mean, that does provide some info--by the letter of the Red Book, that would mean at least an MS-65, but why not specify? Even with the modern stuff, the price jump between 68 and 69, or 69 and 70, is usually pretty steep.

Thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can find out.

Ah, good point, Art! I'll see if I can't get some info from PCGS themselves. I'm almost positive I've seen NGC do something similar, too. I understand when a TPG decides to slab a coin and authenticate it without giving a grade attribution, but I'm really not understanding the generic "grade range" designation, like Gem BU. I mean, that does provide some info--by the letter of the Red Book, that would mean at least an MS-65, but why not specify? Even with the modern stuff, the price jump between 68 and 69, or 69 and 70, is usually pretty steep.

Thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can find out.

Please do and let us know. I'm really interested in learning what this is all about but don't have the opportunity to research it right now.