CoinPeople.com

Must-Haves for World Coin Collectors

thedeadpoint

US coin collector here wandering into the World forum. Frankly, when I think of world coins, I think of change people give me after they return from vacation - lot's of bimetallics with drab designs. (I just returned from Istanbul and didn't even manage to bring home a coin or two (by accident/had to pay the cab with something)... oops.)

I recognize there are some major and famous rarities - Canadian dot cent, for one - but they aren't attainable to the average numismatist.

My question for you is: what are must-have coins that intermediate world coin collectors should have in their collection?

For example, "every world coin collector should have a _______ from ______ because they are considered one of the most beautiful designs ever".

"every world coin collector should have a _______ from ______ because they are considered one of the most beautiful designs ever".

Queen Victoria Florin from the UK.

• 1 month later...

what are must-have coins that intermediate world coin collectors should have in their collection?

There is no answer to this question, as each collector sets his/her own parameters. One person collects all Japanese coins, another collects Chinese gold, and still another collects Hungarian post WWII.

Neither Victorian florins, nor any other single coin fits all three collectors' tastes.

A 1797 Cartwheel tupence, Larry Moran's picture from Flickr.

2 ounces of copper! A true classic, the brilliance of Matthew Boulton & James Watt combined to produce this momentous piece. Compared to the coinage that preceded it, a staggering achievement, even though because of its huge size & the fluctuation in copper value it was doomed to failure. Bigger is not always better but for a collector of world coins it truly stands alone.

Also they are very affordable.

5053235259_658ee225be_z.jpg

Larry Moran's picture from Flickr.

A 1797 Cartwheel tupence, Larry Moran's picture from Flickr.

2 ounces of copper! A true classic, the brilliance of Matthew Boulton & James Watt combined to produce this momentous piece. Compared to the coinage that preceded it, a staggering achievement, even though because of its huge size & the fluctuation in copper value it was doomed to failure. Bigger is not always better but for a collector of world coins it truly stands alone.

Also they are very affordable.

5053235259_658ee225be_z.jpg

Larry Moran's picture from Flickr.

I have a cartwheel (I think)! That is a good one, const!

I have to agree. I have one and think it's grand.

I'd definitely support including a Victorian florin (final portrait) and a cartwheel to a "greatest hits" list -- I concede some of satootoko's point, but not all of it. There are coins that I have no particular interest in owning that I'll admit are fine examples of the art.

I might offer redefining this list as follows: coins that through technology, artistry and/or historical interest mark a particular level of achievement (or notoriety), and are accessible to the great majority of collectors. A list that's dominated by gold and extreme rarity only keeps people on the outside looking in.

There's a perfect example right there of what I was talking about -- I'd be a fool to deny the Maria Theresa's importance and it absolutely belongs on a "greatest hits" list, but I've never wanted one myself.

And maybe that's the effect of compiling a list like this is that I'm reconsidering that coin's place in my collection.

What else might make up a greatest hits type set? I'll nominate a Walking Lib half for inclusion -- easily enough had in reasonably high grades and surely one of the most beautiful designs ever.

Another post brought the Maria Theresa 1780 restrikes to mind, certainly a beautiful and affordable coin.

bingo. I've seen those in souqs in the valleys of Oman.