CoinPeople.com

New for dummies custum coin making and new coins

AnotherFox

Well, this morning I tried to create a new way to make coins

and i did it for under 20 buck i present to you.... Solder coins!

I put wraped solder on a spoon, made a mold out of sculpie clay, backed it.

Took the spoon and melted the solder with a lighter then poured it in the mold. Then it came out real nice.

PROS:

Simple

Cheap

Easy

CONS:

Low melting point

Not scratch resistant

Probably will ware easily

New coins found!

I found some newly minted 2014 "america the beautiful" coins, also some newly minted 2011 and 2013 ones, 20-30 bucks in silver coins and a new coin value handbook! So excited to check the value of my collection.

Like this topic? Leave feedback!

Sounds like a fun project. How's about some photos so we can see your results?

Yes it is! I'm still at the mold process. Ill have photos tomorrow.

yeah, i'd love to see it! Hopefully you're using Bi-Sn solder and not lead!

Im not! Thanks for your intrest. I am giving away 5 of them! :D

Your rediscovery of the way of casting pewter tokens, medallions and coins. Pewter is the preferred metal as it has about the same melting temp as most general solders. With out all the heavy metal/lead side effects. From the carving of the molds out of cuttle bone, to making the molds out of clay.

A lot on here are old enough to remember back in the day. When adults didn't care about their children, and let them have chemistry sets with real chemicals in them or even atomic material. and there was a whole side of the isle of chemistry sets of all sizes.

One of the standard experiments,was making of a sulfur mold of a nickle, Heating the sulfur it it was liquid and then pouring the material around the coin held in a small tin foil pan.

You also can use plaster of paris as a mold. You just have to make sure it is dry all the way through. Gently heating for a while depending on the size of the block.

Now for the safety notes. You do understand that handling, your lead coinage leaves trace on your hands along with any of the heavy metals that may be in the alloy of solder you are using. The fumes are also considered an inhalation hazard, so if you don't have a fume hood. You should be doing out side, and keep your nose out of the way. The heavy metals/lead in your body is a cumulative problem, It does flush out over time. And a hanky over your nose doesn't help.

Secondly it is law that any articles made or contain lead be clearly marked that they contain lead!

Eh, be careful with any "pewter" you're working with. Much still contains lead and is, as mentioned a cumulative toxin. Buy from a source with a good reputation only and don't melt old pewter items as they are likely lead-bound. That being said, my grandpa has been making his own lead sinkers for the last 70 years, bites them open and closed, and doesn't use a hood vent when melting the lead. Also he grew up with those highly volatile chemical play sets, lawn darts, lead paint, DDT, and hundreds of other toxic things and he is fine. It's all in how you're exposed and the frequency. By no means are chemicals/heavy metals safe; I'm an exterminator, I know that we'll. Just use common sense and always wash your hands and face afterwards. Not everyone is as lucky as my grandpa.

• 1 month later...