CoinPeople.com

Russian coins of interest (quality, rarety, beauty) for sale on eBay...

extant4cell

Poland zloty 1837 PF63, on envelope brilliant proof

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=241410&lotNo=15231

To be honest, if this coin would be raw in internet auction, i never would thought that this proof.

Denmark 4srm 1871, on envelope proof, graded MS63

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=241410&lotNo=15085

There are more of these, i just looked from my tracked lots. Still i think, the grader was not enaugh educated to grade them properly.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About 5 years ago I have interesting experience with PCGS and NGC company's. First I send 7 coins(5 kopecks silver of 19th century)to PCGS and received back 2-Proof and 5-Mint State. Second I break 5 holders(MS) and send coins to NGC and received 4(PF) and 1(MS).

I was trying to grade 7 coins as Proof and final result was 6 Proof and 1 Mint State.My point is with all respect to grading company's we should look inside the holder and collect coins ,not the numbers on the holder.Collectors ,dealers,graders can have different opinion according on knowledge and experience.

Rarenum

Rarenum

My point is with all respect to grading company's we should look inside the holder and collect coins ,not the numbers on the holder.Collectors ,dealers,graders can have different opinion according on knowledge and experience.

Not to forget the fakes becoming genuine once graded :tease:

Sigi

Hello Ultra,

Looks like coin harshly cleaned original with some problems.

If you can received better images I recommend review more details.First mount was removed or not and second if details was re-engraved .

Rarenum

Thanks Rarenum,

Frankly I don't like that "regular" patina, with the only darker places between letters and small details. Looks like cleaning.

When looking on larger pictures I got from the seller it looks much worse than mount removed, it has signs of a repaired hole.

One letter is also changed incorrectly (?) - A instead of K. Planned to bid it but now I'm going to pass ...

de1.JPG

de2.JPG

Thanks Rarenum,

Frankly I don't like that "regular" patina, with the only darker places between letters and small details. Looks like cleaning.

When looking on larger pictures I got from the seller it looks much worse than mount removed, it has signs of a repaired hole.

One letter is also changed incorrectly (?) - A instead of K. Planned to bid it but now I'm going to pass ...

Agree with you,I see all problem before and just confirm with better images.

You can find original variety in M.Diakov catalog (2000) page 197 #31 .

Rarenum

• 2 weeks later...

A few interesting coins that I got in the past month:

post-20732-0-50713600-1398330424_thumb.j

44 - the only 9/9 feathers in the wings on ordinary type of 1730 Denga (thank you eBay!)

post-20732-0-72854500-1398328286_thumb.j

9b - The only eagle I know with tongs on 1730 Denga with one line (thank you David!!!)

And a few interesting coins to add to the collection from bidding last night:

Auction140053.JPG Auction140052.JPG

Auction140032.JPG Auction140033.JPG

Auction140054.JPG Auction140055.JPG

Auction141847.JPG Auction141848.JPG

Not the best condition, but exciting nonetheless.

The 1730 and 1731 dengas were from eBay, the others from Estonian auction. Denga 1752 and 2 Kopeks KM 1812 I was looking out for for a while, finally got a chance to add them to my collection. 1 Kopeck 1758 also not too common. The 1794 Kopeck is an interesting specimen as it is a sister coin to the one I got from Kuenker about 2 year ago only one from Kuenker was 3-4 times the price of this one... Just lucky, I guess...

1017188.jpg

Auction140055.JPG Auction140054.JPG

Thank you Squirrel! Alex, I am not that good in mint identification, so I'd trust you on this one :) I like your Moscow kopeck, nicely toned with soft brown tones of the picture, is it like this in hand?

The patina is not very deep, so I think it was cleaned/dipped some years ago. But a pleasant coin for the type.

• 2 weeks later...

IMIS, did you see a coin in person ? Looks like too many "ifs" in your statements, also needs new better photos as well.

BTW, welcome to coinpeole !

I missed something from this story, where did you get that info, that EPN had graded his coin as proof ?

one-kuna, thanks for the welcome and please accept my apology for the delay in replying to you. I bought that coin and posted my question prior to receiving it. Bought it for the date variety; Proof vs. MS was a curiosity bonus. I am still leaning towards "PF" but do not insist on it. As the saying goes art (proof) in the eyes of a beholder.

On that Heritage link, there is a photo of an envelope where this 1827 25k were. On that was written proof. If someone has time to look, then there were more non.russian EPN coins proof but ngc graded MS.

I just thought that long ago they were not so educated to recognize proof from well struck coin:P

Could be. May be this is the reason he is donating proceeds from this sale to advance education of numismatists:)

one-kuna, thanks for the welcome and please accept my apology for the delay in replying to you. I bought that coin and posted my question prior to receiving it. Bought it for the date variety; Proof vs. MS was a curiosity bonus. I am still leaning towards "PF" but do not insist on it. As the saying goes art (proof) in the eyes of a beholder.

IMIS, could you please provide a link to a picture of coin we are talking about?

Poland zloty 1837 PF63, on envelope brilliant proof

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=241410&lotNo=15231

To be honest, if this coin would be raw in internet auction, i never would thought that this proof.

This one still buffles me. My initial impression was that the obverse was impaired, but upon closer examination I could not find anything but light markings and minor dirt deposits consistent with the grade. No matter how I look at the coin, I am seeing two different "proof" finishes on obverse and reverse; which is beyond odd. I have seen coins with one side struck as proof and the other as proof-like (polished) but never as two different proof finishes. Not even sure if this was even possible at Warsaw mint in 1830-s.