CoinPeople.com

Show And Tell

alexbq2

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm blissfully ignorant on the subject, and thus try to avoid anything cast. I did buy a medallion from Rarenum, that he got from the last Sincona and it is listed as cast (not iron). I also came across a ton of Galvano Copies of Russian medals. So who was doing the casting and copying?

I actually came across an article, that indicated that a Kutuzov medal was copied by a Soviet factory in early 80's for some event (an official state order), I think they used the Galvano method.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I got this coin from our friend Rarenum. Its a 1783 KM Polushka, the first year of issue of this type by the Kolyvan Mint. If you take a look at the below picture, you may notice faint traces of letters П О around the horses rear. You probably already guessed, that these are actually traces of the inscription 'Полушка' that remained on the die. This die was originally made for the 1766 style Siberian polushka (probably in 1781), and then was re-engraved with the new design of the standard type polushka in 1783. Pretty neat in my opinion!

polushka1783_KM.jpg

Someone has already gone through all the trouble of slabbing it, why waste all that work?

One could see it entirely including the edge, touch it, weigh it, range and rerange it in trays, enjoy it unveiled.

Sigi

• 1 month later...

From the same series.

045-horz.jpg

Obverse: SCHWARZENBERG. Bust left surrounded by a closed wreath, signed LOOS.
Rev: Coat of Arms. The Schwarzenberg family motto, which is missing on this medal, is NIL NISI RECTUM = Nothing But Right. 1815 28mm Blackened Iron.
Schwarzenberg_Arms.jpg

046-horz.jpg

Obverse: GNEISENAU. Bust left surrounded by a closed wreath, signed LOOS.
Reverse: Coat of Arms FORTITER FIDELITER FELICITER. (Bravely, Faithfully and Cheerfully.) on the ribbon, COLBERG on the centre of the Shield. 1815 28mm Blackened Iron.
Perhaps struck from 'the spoils of war' cannons?

Picked up a silver Barclay and and iron York:

1028383.jpg

1028384.jpg

By the way, the design of the reverse is somewhat similar to Dutch ducat, where as the averse - Peter the Great, that shows his ralation to him through his dad...

post-27191-0-69409900-1363526295_thumb.j

I'm a little late in reading all of the wonderful information here about Paul... :) thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge! :art:

There was a short-lived project here on the forum, maybe four or five years ago, which concerned translating some documents about Russian coins from the Russian original into English... one-kuna was the initiator, I believe. I couldn't find the link anymore, but I remember seeing an "Ukaz" of Paul where he wanted to change the silver standard to the Dutch "stuyver". Does anybody have that? Is it perhaps in GDM?

It would seem that he was somewhat partial to all things Dutch. We shouldn't forget that Peter I (and possibly Paul as well) were fluent in the Dutch language and admired the Dutch navy as well.

I got this coin from our friend Rarenum. Its a 1783 KM Polushka, the first year of issue of this type by the Kolyvan Mint. If you take a look at the below picture, you may notice faint traces of letters П О around the horses rear. You probably already guessed, that these are actually traces of the inscription 'Полушка' that remained on the die. This die was originally made for the 1766 style Siberian polushka (probably in 1781), and then was re-engraved with the new design of the standard type polushka in 1783. Pretty neat in my opinion!

polushka1783_KM.jpg

Who know, it may possibly be made from the original 1764 dies! ;)

They already found overdates on denga's and 1 kopeck: http://coins.su/forum/index.php?showtopic=143117&p=1541265

Who know, it may possibly be made from the original 1764 dies! ;)

They already found overdates on denga's and 1 kopeck: http://coins.su/forum/index.php?showtopic=143117&p=1541265

I doubt that a 1764 die would have been lying around til 1783, but it is interesting that 1764 dies were in use at the mint. In a recent discussion on that forum there was an opinion that there were no real 1764 coins. The overdates suggest that such coins may have existed, and perhaps still do.