CoinPeople.com
thedeadpoint

Wikipedia's Featured Article of the Day

Just yesterday I was thinking it has been a while since I've seen another coin-related Wikipedia featured article.

Then today's happened! A coin near and dear to Art's collection:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt_dime

Sinnock_dime_sketches.jpeg

Oh, I like that first sketch, with the hand holding the design elements! That would have made a lovely dime.

Nice design!

Oh, I like that first sketch, with the hand holding the design elements! That would have made a lovely dime.

Until there was a perfectly placed die crack - "Lady Liberty cracked her fingernail!"

I do. A 1953 MS66fb. Beautiful colors and probably the most solid non-proof strike in my collection

There's been a drought but... November 16, 2017 featured the Susan B. Anthony dollar! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_B._Anthony_dollar

I rather like the coin. It is the youngest "obsolete" issue I learned about when I started collecting in the mid-90s.

A few days ago, the top article on Wikipedia was again coin-related. This time it featured the Illinois Centennial Half Dollar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_Centennial_half_dollar

Illinois_centennial_half_dollar_commemorIllinois_centennial_half_dollar_commemor

I must say it is a very handsome coin. Does anyone out there have one?

Sunday, February 11, 2018 - Indian Head gold pieces

I've always been captivated by this series. I don't own a single Indian Head gold coin, but they are simply iconic to me. I truly don't have words to describe it.

Does anyone out there have one of these?

NNC-US-1908-G$2%C2%BD-Indian_Head.jpg

Greetings!

This is a special entry. TWO days in a row, a coin was featured as Wikipedia's Featured Article!

April 30, 2018 - Louisiana Purchase Exposition Dollar

This one apparently had two obverses: 

Louisiana_Purchase_Jefferson_dollar_obveLouisiana_Purchase_McKinley_dollar_obver

And here is the obverse:

Louisiana_Purchase_Jefferson_dollar_reve

Does anyone have this lovely coin?

And the day after, May 1, 2018, another coin was featured! This time it was the Standing Liberty Quarter. I'm sure most of the American coin collectors here have at least one of this iconic series.

Here's the scandalous first design:

Standing_Liberty_Quarter_Type1_1917S_Obv

And here's the initial reverse:

1916_Standing_Liberty_quarter_reverse.jp

Here we go again!

July 2, 2018 - The Monroe Doctrine Centennial half dollar is Wikipedia's Featured Article of the Day. 

It looks like it's one of the many commemoratives that flooded the era. In my opinion, it's a forgettable design. They don't seem to be too hard to come by in decent condition either.

Does anyone have one?

Monroe_Doctrine_Centennial_half_dollar_oMonroe_Doctrine_Centennial_half_dollar_r

I started a collection of commemoratives several times but never followed through on it. Many are available in decent condition at a reasonable price and I do like the designs of most. Not sure why I never collected them. I have three or four different in my type sets. 

When I have time to collect more deliberately (I feel like I've been saying this for a decade), I would like to make an attempt at them. Seems like a fascinating task.