CoinPeople.com

New Coin Designs for 2014

YeOldeCollector

I especially like the 2 pound design.

Which one? Both the Kitchener and the Lighthouse ones are £2s.

Personally I'm not a fan of any designs. I find the £1 coin designs more boring than any that are already in circulation. The 50p is so vastly similar to the dozens of designs minted for the 2012 Olympics. A £2 marking a lighthouse is not what I had in mind for a separate commemorative issue next to a WWI one, and I find the depiction of Lord Kitchener's poster to mark the start of World War One somewhat inappropriate considering the other motifs and ways of remembrance for such a huge, tragic loss of life.

As far as I can tell this is yet another nail in the Royal Mint's coffin...

I prefer the lighthouse design. Not much appeal for me on the poster design and haven't really seen anything on the pound or 50p that interests me.

I find the depiction of Lord Kitchener's poster to mark the start of World War One somewhat inappropriate considering the other motifs and ways of remembrance for such a huge, tragic loss of life.

As far as I can tell this is yet another nail in the Royal Mint's coffin...

I concur - "Your country needs you!" to become cannon fodder for a senseless war that will only result in another war 21 years later. In my entry closet I have my great uncle's WWI trenchcoat - everytime I see it whilst getting a jacket or something I think of him being gassed by phosgene or something and having breathing difficulties for the rest of his long life. The trenchcoat is a very heavy woolen item, cannot imagine being out in the open in that thing soaking wet.

I was going to make all the same comments and then some. In this day, glorifying war is the worst of blasphemies against everything that is and of civiilzation.

(Plus, as an American, a lot of the tiny iconography is lost on me and the guy on the coin looks like the Kaiser. Maybe the royals are exploring their roots.)

I appreciate the sentiments above but I appreciate what the mint was trying to do, too. The Kitchener one looks cartoonish, like the kaiser. But I like the Commonwealth Games one.

• 3 weeks later...

Another concurrence on the above comments as well. The pound coins seem artistically weak and look more like something I'd expect on an arcade token.

I agree too. The previous coins, like the 2 pounds were much nicer.

UK13UBU2_01_white.jpg

And for World War I, the Canadian commemorative is much nicer, showing the soldiers on their way to the war saying goodbye to their wife.

m2400719_128296_rev-388.png