CoinPeople.com

Academie de Peinture et de Sculpture (Paris)

A nice example of a scarce silver jeton issued for the Academie de Peinture et de Sculpture. Although dated 1764,there appears to be some doubt as to whether it was issued that year or in the early 1770's. The jeton cites Louis XVI as patron in the obverse legend

1021586.jpg

The Academie was founded in 1648 with the purpose of professionalising the artists working for the French court and give them a stamp of approval that artists of the Academie de Saint-Luc did not have. (The Academie Saint-Luc was a painters' guild set up in Paris in 1391 by the Lord Provost of Paris).

I agree. CGB describe the reverse as `La Peinture et La Sculpture se tenant la main' (Painting and Sculpture holding hands)

The symbolism is Painting and Sculpture being equal partners in terms of the `arts' ...while the sun (which appears as a small face radiant in the left field) shines benevolently on them. This references Louis XV (aka `The Sun King') who was still alive and patron of the academy in 1764.

• 3 weeks later...

Well spotted sir!!

I was going to comment on the signature and its ramifications, but thought the better of it as the scanned image is quite poor. you must have eyes like a hawk. :)

The signature is very ad hoc in style. `Arty'......... and in keeping with the theme of the jeton.

Well spotted sir!!

you must have eyes like a hawk. :)

I looked at this on my Nexus 7, not my laptop as my cat was on my lap. Finger gesturing to expand the image, coupled with the high resolution screen makes spotting fine detail in pictures so much easier. So I cannot take all the credit I have to share it with my cat and my Nexus 7.

Pat, you are dooming me to penury. In the past you've given me ideas for expanding my collection, advice on books that I really should have in my library; and now this. My wife has had a Nexus 7 which I have foolishly just promised to upgrade on the strength of that picture alone. And, for a Luddite, I'm finding it very user friendly.