CoinPeople.com

Recent Jamaica Proof Sets - Which Exist?

Britcoin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, thanks for that bit. I have of course corresponded with BoJ and ordered from them directly, the most interesting being a 1999 set I was not able to get otherwise and seemed to show up under a pile of other bits down there - this after saying they had nothing but the 1992 and 1993 sets (now almost 25 years old!). I have spoken to several people down there but since I don't really have any "pull", perhaps did not get all the attention that somebody with such might have! JamaicaCoinCollector has evidently been there in person with no better results is what I've gathered.

Still these questions remain a mystery - I will try to report back if anything of interest turns up.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

OK, hit me in the head as the second enquiry to the Royal Mint through their Facebook page resulted in nothing. No further 4-1-1 to offer.

For other Jamaica collectors out there, another "unicorn" would be the 1984 Franklin Mint Specimen/Uncirculated Set (not the proof set which is fairly scarce also). It supposedly exists, but I have only been able to get the single uncirculated Marlin $10 coin and then separate Unc. FM mint marked 20c and 50c coins. If the mintage numbers in Krause is correct, then very few seem to have survived.

Just for research purposes, it would be interesting if anybody wants to post other information in addition or would PM me on this.

• 6 months later...

With regard to the 1984 Jamaica specimen set (I have no further news about the 2002 proof set)) - I was able to locate the Belize 1984 specimen set as reported in another post.

This together with the fact that I have found separate unc. 1984 FM coins including the 50c piece leave hope that this may be out there somewhere.

The Franklin Mint seems to not have pushed the specimen sets of these later years, such as 1983 & '84 and indeed was ratcheting down on even the once very profitable proof sets.

I have no idea if it would be possible to find any formerly ACTIVE members of the Franklin Collector Society as they had many privileges and accesses to the mint, or at least it is my understanding....

• 2 months later...

None. Sorry, the existence of this 2002 set is but conjectural & neither the Royal Mint nor the Bank of Jamaica have further information to share. As I had stated, the other difficult set is the 1984 specimen set (the proof set of that year is quite scarce too).

A bit frustrating, but I must say the odd bit does show up from time to time in the strangest of places.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The reason for the elusiveness is that NOBODY cared then and barely anybody cares now. The Royal Mint made little if any profit on this, and may well have been simply fulfilling a contract. Sadly a matter of no interest by anybody. There are some other years as described above that may as scarce or even scarcer but suffer from the same malady.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Update: nothing to report. I am convinced the 2002 proof set of Jamaica exists but that there must be extremely few in the hands of collectors.

However, I would not be surprised if a number may one day be located in a BoJ warehouse or perhaps at the Royal Mint. Really a shame as they could clear a few, although I do not know at what cost to them.

The 1984 specimen set of Jamaica also exists by report, and an Eastern European collector has one at least.

The 1984 specimen set of Barbados is also likely to exist: separately, I have gotten the PL versions of the $10, $5, $1, 25c and so almost formed one from scratch.

It is also very likely that there are some other very scarce proof sets struck by the Royal Mint for other countries (like 2004 Falklands Proof set) as well.

On 3/28/2018 at 3:21 PM, jamaicacoincollector said:

This missing the following sets 1986, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002 if anyone has a lead on any of these years I’d be delighted to hear from them

The 2000 proof set is available from the Bank of Jamaica directly for $15 + $25 shipping (according to their website).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I am not a coin collector and respectfully hope I am not intruding or violating your community’s rules. My parents honeymooned in  Jamaica in 1984 and apparently at some point purchased a 1984 proof set of Franklin Mint coins. I am not sure where it was bought. Here are some photos. I actually had no clue this existed until I found it going through a storage bin destined for the trash.

07CA7E29-4708-4452-9E09-E104AEBF3865.jpeg

139EDFFE-E678-4708-BA8E-4F26DC11FDFA.jpeg

5F0B91D9-7224-4C17-A3DA-0B764469E1C3.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My search continues … still hoping to pick up the 1982, 1996, 1998, 1999 or 2002 sets to complete my collection. Its taken over nearly 15 years to get to this point, so close but yet such slow progress in the past few years. If anyone can help please get in touch

• 3 years later...

I know that this is a very old topic, but I, too, am in search of a 2002 Jamaica proof set. I've been collecting sets from every country I've been to, minted in the year I went there. My wife and I went to Jamaica on our honeymoon in 2002.

Like others in this thread, I contacted the Royal Mint. UNLIKE others in this thread, the Royal Mint DID get back to me. While they couldn't give me production figures, they did have sales figures. They told me that there were only 116 proof sets sold for 2002.

Not really helpful, I realize. But I figure more information is better than less.