CoinPeople.com
Sign in to follow this  
rsraghead

small coins

I have been discussing small coins on the UK forum and was wondering other than trimes and half dimes, what other smalls do we have from north America?

Mexico also had silver half dimes

The smallest coins in the USA were the 1 dollar gold coins that were minted from 1849-54.

1851golddollar.jpg

I have a smaller coin from Guatemala, a 4 reales in gold from 1861 but it is not imaged.

I never knew that, I've just really never considered gold.

Now that I know I will look into it, thanks.

Canada had silver five cent pieces up to 1921, too. About 14.5mm -- is that the same size as the US half-dime?

Its approximately the same. And thanks I didn't know about them. I have just recently got excited with the smalls whenplaying with my magnifying glass

Gold dollars in circulated condition like the one above can be pretty affordable, the gold value is small of course. The coins were really too small which is why the Type II coins that were a millimetre larger were made.

Following up the Guatemalan reference (although there's some debate as to whether Central America would be considered part of North America) there are tiny 1/4 silver reals that you can actually get for relatively cheap that are tiny tiny (smaller than a half dime). They're rather impressive too in the detail of the volcanos with the clouds and sun crammed into a coin barely over a half a gram in size.

I normally go by coin weights instead of surface size but the half dimes they weighed 1.24 grams while the 1/4 reals weighed in at .77 grams. This is very similar in weight to the silver 3 cent pieces but I believe in terms of surface size (owning a half dime and 1/4 real) the 1/4 reals are roughly half the size of a half dime.

if it as light as the old silver trime, it is small. I looked up a few pics awhile ago, and seen what you meant about the pyramids. :bgreen:

This has the advantage that in general, half dimes are MUCH cheaper than corresponding half dollars, and similar things are no doubt true for other countries. Of course with gold the price effect can be expected solely based on the bullion value, but for silver the numismatic value overwhelms the bullion value.

If collecting trimes, note that there are three sub-types and that the second one is significantly more difficult than either the first or last. I still don't have one in fact.

G1a_os_1853_Trime.jpgG1a_rs_1853_Trime.jpg

Type 1: MUCH larger picture

G1c_os_1861_Trime.jpgG1c_rs_1861_Trime.jpg

Type 3: MUCH larger picture

Beauties Steve. :bthumbsup: