CoinPeople.com

Kids Getting Involved

jlueke

I was at the recent Central States Numismatic Convention in Chicago where I and my oldest son exhibited. That was fun and he's really interested in continuing to research his topic and to work on the aesthetics as well. Now my second son has taken a big interest in identifying world coins as well as the Britannia pennies more specifically. Now he's already palnning to exhibit something next April. If they can sharpen their writing skills maybe soon a published YN article will be in their future. I also got some interesting advice on how to get kids ready to win college scholarships with the help of numismatics. The short version is distinguish yourself with interesting and esoteric activities, that's more effective than doing the standard things that everyone does.

I love hearing about this program. When I was reading Coin World regularly, I'd read about the good things the YN does occasionally. How long has it been around?

Watch out for the monsters you might create. I say that because my 8 year old has been collecting since she was just shy of 2 - largely by "appropriating" stuff she wants from my clutches. Now she is a roll searcher and trusty helper. Last week she found a dateless T1 Buffalo - her oldest Buff find. She keeps her finds and doesn't even discuss compensating me for them. Out of all my kids, with the exception of one of them, she is the only one that has stuck with collecting/hoarding.

Watch out for the monsters you might create. I say that because my 8 year old has been collecting since she was just shy of 2 - largely by "appropriating" stuff she wants from my clutches. Now she is a roll searcher and trusty helper. Last week she found a dateless T1 Buffalo - her oldest Buff find. She keeps her finds and doesn't even discuss compensating me for them. Out of all my kids, with the exception of one of them, she is the only one that has stuck with collecting/hoarding.

My two sons just totaled up their discounted value of all the world coins they've sorted, identified, stapled, and stored. I'm lucky that they want some money back out, that'll let me recoup the costs and they can keep the rest as the fruits of their labor ;)

I think my oldest likes do to things I do, my middle one is a natural collector, my daugher I really don't know yet. It certainly is better than another hour of games or TV though. I haven't tried roll searching on them yet. Have you trained your daughter to spy high grade MS coins to send in to PCGS and flip for a profit? Young eyes might be good for that.

I think my oldest likes do to things I do, my middle one is a natural collector, my daugher I really don't know yet. It certainly is better than another hour of games or TV though. I haven't tried roll searching on them yet. Have you trained your daughter to spy high grade MS coins to send in to PCGS and flip for a profit? Young eyes might be good for that.

The one that could spot the valuable coin in a huge lot is now 18 and has moved on to other interests like young men and starting college. She sold her coin collection off, at a nice profit, years ago.