CoinPeople.com

NGC's best - 50 kopecks (1910) MS-64 in next Heritage auction

bobh

bobh, does your coin have same amount of mint luster or better then one on Heritage? Your pictures unfortunately do not show too much mint luster. Hopefully it is just your pictures problem.

I think it's my pictures, but hard to say without seeing the Heritage coin in person how the mint luster compares. The pictures with blue background were taken in direct sunlight -- a technique which tends to emphasize detail and preserves color at the expense of luster. The other ones were two different attempts at axial lighting. The glass I used has given me problems before, but I think you can tell from the obverse, the way the bust appears, that the coin does have plenty of luster.

I should try to take more pictures with multiple light sources. That would give it more cartwheels, which I think is what you are missing in my pictures.

I think it's my pictures ... should try to take more pictures with multiple light sources. That would give it more cartwheels, which I think is what you are missing in my pictures.

OK, I think you might like these pictures a little better. They are more similar to the Heritage photos as far as lighting goes -- of course, I'm sure that Heritage Auctions has better cameras and lighting (AND photographers!) at their disposal than I do: :rofl:

obv_0205.thumb.jpgrev_0211.thumb.jpg

That being said (or shown), I still think that the following pictures are better -- they are much more in focus and have plenty of luster as well:

RUSSIA_50_Kopecks_1910_EB_obv.thumb.jpgRUSSIA_50_Kopecks_1910_EB_rev.thumb.jpg

Take a peek at the reverse -- you can actually SEE the initials "АГ" of the engraver (Apollon Grasgov) beneath the hoof of St. George's horse (at least you can see that on the high resolution pictures on my website). :)

Funny thing about the high bid ... there are only two bidders at present, but 21 people tracking it. Even for such a gorgeous coin, I only expected it to go for something in the low $1,000's. After all, it's not a proof, and although quite scarce, there are much rarer years. :confus:

Beautiful coin, bobh! Very likely among the best (and much better than mine). Do you plan to send it for grading to see what grade it can fetch?

Thanks, altyn! :art: I'm not planning on selling it anytime soon, but have wondered about getting it slabbed. Hard to say what my real motivation for that would be ... it is certainly nice to have without all that plastic around it!

Hello bobh, if I were the lucky owner of this beauty, my primary concern would be its preservation. It is so easy to cause an irreversible damage just by accidentally dropping the coin, for instance. And somehow I never saw the plastic as impediment for enjoying a beautiful coin, but it may be just me, many people think otherwise.

Hello bobh, if I were the lucky owner of this beauty, my primary concern would be its preservation. It is so easy to cause an irreversible damage just by accidentally dropping the coin, for instance. And somehow I never saw the plastic as impediment for enjoying a beautiful coin, but it may be just me, many people think otherwise.

Slabs do protect against physical damage, but not against humidity. Airtight capsules also protect against that as well as against physical damage. The only real advantage to having the coin in a slab is when you want to sell it.

Heritage auction coin:

http://coins.ha.com/...024&lotNo=25421

What do you think ... do I have a chance at MS-65 with mine?

http://hairgrove-gol...ery/Poltina1910

:bhyper:

PS - current bid at Heritage is already $2,200 with 2 weeks left! :D

Current bid now at $2,400 with 17 hours left to go!