CoinPeople.com

PCI 5 Category Breakdown

Guest Stujoe

How to break down the categories.  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How to break down the categories.

• The first one (time based)
    • The second one (the usual breakdown)
    • I am suggesting my own (please post it)

Still trying to firm up category break-down ideas.

So far, two full suggestions have been posted:

Changing it to a time based breakdown.

1) Ancient BC-500AD

2) Medieval 500-1500

3) 16/17th century

4) 18th century

5) 19th century

6) 1901-1949

7) 1950-present

8) Exnuwhatsit.

and A slightly expanded version of the normal breakdown:

US

- Gold

- Silver

- Copper

- Other

World

- Gold

- Silver

- Copper

- Other

Ancient

(Break it down into Roman, Greek, etc if needed)

Exonumia

(Break it down into tokens, medals, etc if needed)

What thinks you all?

I voted for option #1. I'm assuming the number of entries is actually the multiple. So if ancients is very popular there may be 16 entries - not 8. Is that correct?

I voted for option #1. I'm assuming the number of entries is actually the multiple. So if ancients is very popular there may be 16 entries - not 8. Is that correct?

I took out the number of entries as the numbers will be solely based upon how many coins are entered...keeping in mind that the total for any category has to be one of the following: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, etc. 1, 2, and 4 would probably be pretty nonsensical but once the entries are called for, the categories will already be set in stone.

Am I correct to assume that all commems, proofs, odd metals will be included in the same date category? What exactly would go in the whatchamacallit category?

I am figuring Exonumia is just tokens, medals, medalions, etc but I am not sure what he exactly had in mind...

I am figuring Exonumia is just tokens, medals, medalions, etc but I am not sure what he exactly had in mind...

What i meant by that, firstly things such as medals, dies, tokens, wooden nickels anything. Although the main reason i stuck that there is for coins where the date is not clear. I'm thinking of things like gaming tokens and restrikes here.

Maria Theresa Thalers restrikes... where would you put them? 18th century (since that's where the design originated) or 20th century when it may have been struck?

Also i have a fake ducat and a George III 1762 gambling token imitation guinea. The ducat is most likely from the 20th century, and the imitation guinea is from the 19th century most likely. This is why i stuck the exnu... category. Sometimes it's not as clear as it might first seem.

I also voted time based. I have some reservations about how it will play out with entries but it is different and interesting.

You know what the saying for PCI is Stu... "just go for it".

If we had not experiemented in the first place then the idea would still be on the shelf. What you got to lose? Try it, give it a whirl... if it's a bad idea just don't do it again. PCI6 can soon go back to the old tried system.

If it were me i'd jump in both feet first, then find out if it's deep enough. :ninja:

One thing is for sure it can't be worse than PCI-1!

:ninja: I just got that one.  I love it!  Sorry.  ;)

That is totally fine! I found something else to enter. :lol:

I have had it for some time. I have not put it up earlier because I was hoping to get an actual photo rather than a scan, but it has not happened. Shiny silver just comes out too glaring in scans. ;)

Archived