CoinPeople.com

Australia 1946 King george vi florin silver coin without a reed on reeded edge there?

I would like to say hi to everyone in this forum and I have a piece of the Australia 1946 King george vi florin silver coin without a reed on reeded edge there.The missing reed right exactly on that position looks like a big dot because of the gap between the left and right reeds there,it is obvious to look at it right on the edges by holding the piece.My thought is the missing reed is the machine has failed to cut on that position but not sure why it is only a missing reed happening there and it should be more than a missing reed normally on other pieces during the processing period.I believe thing like this piece is certainly unusual and rare to be discovered by me.

It is definely very interesting and unusual to me but I cannot confirm it is a common thing or not happens on the reeded edges there because I am not an expert in the Australia error coins to be honest.I need the real experts which can help me to identify it of the missing line is considered as error or not,is it interesting to you and rare or common thing happens on other pieces,personal opinion and explaination in details are also require by me.I would apprieiciate for your help as usual.I will get back to you as soon as possible after your reply to me.Please refer to the scans below and let me know what you think.Thank you

705_zps1372c331.jpg

706_zps311c56fa.jpg

707_zps3e7d41d7.jpg

Damaged collar.

The reeds are not "cut" into the coin, but actually impressed by the collar when the coin is struck (or more technically, when the metal of the coin flows out during the striking).

For a design element to be incuse on the struck coin, it would have to be raised on the die portion.

In this case, that portion of the collar appears to have broken off due to stress over time.

As such, this is essentially the same as a "cud" error, though not nearly as noticeable since few people study edges closely.

It's strange. First I thougth that it was worned out, but the others are very worn and still can be seen. Maybe somebody did it on intention, or it's a rare mistake.

Yes,It is definely very strange to most of the collectors who look at thing like this happened at the first slight and it is the most unusual piece that I have found so far.The surface showing on obverse side is definely badly worned off but not on the reeded edge which is in perfect condition and it does not like the position did it by somebody else because it is completely flat between the left and right reeds on that position and it is clear can be seen over there.Thank you

Damaged collar.

The reeds are not "cut" into the coin, but actually impressed by the collar when the coin is struck (or more technically, when the metal of the coin flows out during the striking).

For a design element to be incuse on the struck coin, it would have to be raised on the die portion.

In this case, that portion of the collar appears to have broken off due to stress over time.

As such, this is essentially the same as a "cud" error, though not nearly as noticeable since few people study edges closely.

You mean the missing reed on that position is considered as damaged collar error?Perhap you might be right about the portion of the place there and the reeded edge is not made by cut because the portion is aready designed to have the raise position of the thing like portion of the collar but not cut by the machine of my first thought of the reed exactly over there.I have to agree with you that portion of the collar appears to have broken off due to stress for minting on other pieces for period of the years but not sure other people would consider it as a cud error or not because I have never seen anything like this before for so many years gone by.It is a very noticeable position to me over there.Thank you