CoinPeople.com

Canadian Governor General Gold Medal - 1916

JLahey

Hello everyone

I was hoping someone here might be able to answer a few questions I have about this 1916 Canadian governor general gold medal.

According to the book, "Medals of the Governors General of Canada - 2nd Edition", this medal should weigh 92.6g, and should have who it was awarded to engraved on the edge. This medal weighs 93.3g, and does not have any engravings.. Does anyone know why that might be? I noticed in the same book that the silver and bronze medals seem to fluctuate slightly in weight. The gold medal only has one weight listed (See attached photo)..

I want to be sure to have as much information as possible, so I can correctly answer any questions from potential buyers, when it becomes available for sale. The medal was tested and confirmed to be 18k

Any information or comments would be appreciated !

Thanks

GGGM_2_zps4058867e.jpg

GGGM_3_zps36e5dbdd.jpg

GGGM_12_zps69810578.jpg

If it's that rare of a medal it'll probably be difficult to find much more information thatn you've found. I wonder a little about the weight, did you use a scale that was tared properly? Authentic medals like this tend to go for $2000-$3000 when they find a buyer.

The fact that it only has one weight for the gold medal is likely a function of only one being available to weigh. It states only 40 were issued. Your weight difference is not that significant for medals not required to be struck to the same exacting standards as coins. The fact that it is not engraved suggests it might not have been awarded or recipients had to have them engraved themselves.

Have you been able to confirm if this is indeed gold? Is it magnetic? There are gold testing kits you can acquire or you can take them to any cash for gold place and they could measure the karat of the gold.

I don't doubt it's gold since there's no reason why one would gild a silver or bronze one - these are IMO quite personal awards that generally would be left alone in their boxes, only to be looked at on occasion, and are generally sold only after the original owner has passed, since their sentimental value is far greater than their monetary value.

The main use of these today is in academia - gold for the top graduating graduate student (MA/PhD, etc.) at a univ, silver for top undergrad at a college/univ, and bronze for top graduate at a secondary school or trades school.

The fact that it is not engraved suggests it might not have been awarded or recipients had to have them engraved themselves.

Excellent point. Another variation would be that those awarding the medal would usually engrave them prior to award, but whoever awarded this one didn't.

A coin of this potential value is worthy of taking to a professional grader

I don't really see how grading would affect the market value or marketability - GG medals, like many fields of exonumia, have a relatively small market.

• 1 month later...