PCI2013 Categories and Rules

Art1.2

It's time to start preparations PCI2013 :yahoo:

Here are the suggested categories:

Seven Materials Trees:

Gold

Silver

Copper

Other Precious Metals (platinum, palladium, etc)

Other Base Metals (nickel, Cu-Ni, steel, aluminum, etc)

Bimetallic (must be significantly and obviously bimetallic (i.e. silver plugged copper coins are still considered copper))

Non-Metallic (wood, ceramic, paper, etc)

In each tree, there will be 9 branches:

Group 1: Ancient & Medievel: XX-1500AD

Group 2: 1501-1700

Group 3: 1701-1800

Group 4: 1801-1900

Group 5: 1901- 2000

Group 6: 2001- Present

Group 7: NCLT

Group 8: Exonumia

Group 9: Special Coins - anything you collect that you feel warrants being outside the other categories.

Here are the suggested entry rules based on PCI2011.

1. You may enter as many of the groups as you wish.

2. You may enter three (3) coins in each group.

3. Submit only coins that belong to you - no borrowed coins or borrowed images

4. A heading before each coin image url should in the following format:

...your ID; tree ID; group ID; coin description

For example: Sylvester, Silver, 1901-2000, 1930-P USA Standing Liberty Quarter

5. Images of the coins must be in omnicoin.com --- reasons for this have been discussed on a number of occasions.

6. Please post your images for each group in a single post in the proper thread for that group.

7. Post only the url of the image -- not an img post

8. Include a brief description of the coin/item that you would like included along with the image in the competition. Here's your chance to bring the historic importance to the forefront.

9. The submission threads will be opened when PCI2013 officially begins and locked before the first competition postings take place. Until they're locked you can edit your post to make whatever changes needed. Make sure you tell us when you make a major edit. Please do not add additional posts to the submission threads.

Please review and let me have your comments.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to George for the well documented startup info above. I stole it from his PCI2011 startup post.

Personally I would count a tin farthing as "other metals". The best way to handle this type of problem is to do a poll and let the participants vote.

Group 9 --- can be anything you'd like to enter in that category, even though it is covered by other categories. Your special coins, scripts, scrips, Notgeld that you don't want to put in the metals categories .ceramics...So it's three free entries for whatever floats your boat. Part of the attempt on my part to make sure this is fun for everyone.

Where do you classify silver billon coins?

silver bullion coins go in the NCLT category.

Not bullion, billion. It's a mix of silver and other metals that aren't valuable, like alloys.

Sorry about that. I googled billion coins but got no hits so I assumed a misspelling. I would say you can place them in whatever category you believe fits them - other metals being the one most logical for me. BUT if the coins are predominantly silver you might go ahead and place them in silver.

Silly me, I actually had a question -- would you prefer emergency coinage to be in exonumia or the regular area?

It can fit in both. I'd say the decision should rest with the owner of the coin. Of course there's always Group 9..

PCI2013 will open for submissions on 15th March 2013 and will accept submissions thru 29 March 2013. As always I will open submission threads for each of the 7 trees of the competition. Each person should create one post in the appropriate tree threads to cover all of their submissions for that tree. Please group your submissions in logical order - it makes my life easier. The voting schedule will be announced after all submissions are received.

Here are the PCI2013 Rules:

Seven Materials Trees:

Gold

Silver

Copper

Other Precious Metals (platinum, palladium, etc)

Other Base Metals (nickel, Cu-Ni, steel, aluminum, etc)

Bimetallic (must be significantly and obviously bimetallic (i.e. silver plugged copper coins are still considered copper))

Non-Metallic (wood, ceramic, paper, etc)

In each tree, there will be 9 branches:

Group 1: Ancient & Medievel: XX-1500AD

Group 2: 1501-1700

Group 3: 1701-1800

Group 4: 1801-1900

Group 5: 1901- 2000

Group 6: 2001- Present

Group 7: NCLT

Group 8: Exonumia

Group 9: Special Coins - anything you collect that you feel warrants being outside the other categories.

Entry specifics:

1. You may enter as many of the trees and groups as you wish.

2. You may enter a max of three (3) coins in each group.

3. Submit only coins that belong to you - no borrowed coins or borrowed images

4. A heading before each coin image url should in the following format:

...your ID; tree ID; group ID; coin description

For example: Sylvester, Silver, 1901-2000, 1930-P USA Standing Liberty Quarter

5. Images of the coins must be in omnicoin.com --- reasons for this have been discussed on a number of occasions.

6. Please post your images for each tree in a single post in the proper thread for that tree.

7. Post only the url of the image -- not an img post

8. Include a brief description of the coin/item that you would like included along with the image in the competition. Here's your chance to bring the historic importance to the forefront.

9. The submission threads will be opened when PCI2013 officially begins and locked before the first competition postings take place. Until they're locked you can edit your post to make whatever changes needed. Make sure you tell us when you make a major edit. Please do not add additional posts to the submission threads.

Folks, Art and his helpers are taking on a lot of work to make sure we have the best PCI possible. Having helped run a few of these myself, I know that following these submission guidelines is a HUGE HUGE help to the crew. Taking 5 extra minutes to do it right gives Art et al more time to make the whole contest a treat for us.

when are we starting?

Submissions will begin 15March2013. Voting dates are unknown. It depends on the number of submissions.

PCI2013 will open for submissions on 15th March 2013 and will accept submissions thru 29 March 2013. As always I will open submission threads for each of the 7 trees of the competition. Each person should create one post in the appropriate tree threads to cover all of their submissions for that tree. Please group your submissions in logical order - it makes my life easier. The voting schedule will be announced after all submissions are received.

Submissions are open and will close on the 29th of March 2013. Nothing in any category yet. Golly gee! I wasn't planning to enter any coins this year as I figured I'd have enough to do with managing the contest. BUT looks like I could make a clean sweep in a few of these categories. :grin:

I'm making sure my picures are as good as I can get them! I may have twigged onto something with heavily diffusing the flash so I can use it with the macro setting... which also means I'll probably have to reshoot *everything* eventually.

I'm making sure my picures are as good as I can get them! I may have twigged onto something with heavily diffusing the flash so I can use it with the macro setting... which also means I'll probably have to reshoot *everything* eventually.

It's worth the effort. Excellent presentation is a big part of the coins attraction. Best of luck with it. I'm sure that you'll have enough time. If not give me a holler.

Jeez, I only just noticed how many pieces I have up on Omnicoin! I'll worry about the non-entrants later. The flashdamping technique is fussy, to say the least... sheesh. :)