CoinPeople.com

Dimes of North America

ccg

1017495.jpg

Mexico 1910

At 2.5 grams, this is your standard dime. However, it is struck of 800 silver. This is a bit unusual as most countries with LMU standard sized coins struck in either 900 silver, or 835 silver.

Subsidiary silver coinage of Mexico from 1905 to ~1917 were all struck in 800 silver, with the weights corresponding to the LMU standard. This is likely due to Mexico, like China and India, being a silver standard country rather than a gold standard country - so making minors in debased alloy was the only way the mint would be profitable.

1017495.jpg

Mexico 1910

At 2.5 grams, this is your standard dime. However, it is struck of 800 silver. This is a bit unusual as most countries with LMU standard sized coins struck in either 900 silver, or 835 silver.

Subsidiary silver coinage of Mexico from 1905 to ~1917 were all struck in 800 silver, with the weights corresponding to the LMU standard. This is likely due to Mexico, like China and India, being a silver standard country rather than a gold standard country - so making minors in debased alloy was the only way the mint would be profitable.

Nice dime and information. This should be a good thread.

I take it that in order to qualify a coin must weigh 2.5 grams?

Should be interesting to see what people come up with for ten cent/tenth-dollar pieces (with the caveat that "dime" is, as far as I know, the legal name only in the United States).

I'm happy to see what everyone has to share that's pretty much a dime, give or take.

My focus is primarily on those that fall within the Latin Monetary Union 1/2 franc definition (2.5g, 835 or 900 silver), though similarly sized pieces (perhaps 2.0g-3.5g) such as US-Phillipines 10c, Canadian 10c, Dutch 1/4 guilder, and Indian 1/4 rupees, to name a few would also fall into the broad definition.

I always like seeing places that have a unique name for their dime equivalent (e.g. Peru's dinero, Chinese jiao, Russian grivennik) since it's much more interesting.

If I'm not mistaken, Filipino coinage (at least the latest editions that used silver) were .750, Canadian coinage after WWI was .800 (prior was .920), the Dutch gulders were .720. Most British Commonwealth coinages I am familiar with usually come in .925, .800 or .500. I believe the .835 and .900 were largely dropped by European countries after World War I, with many dropping them before. Are you talking about a particular time period?

Speaking of silver, made quite the haul today at an antique shop: four grab bags with 7 silver Canadian quarters, 3 Canadian silver dimes, an entire 1944 Filipino coinage set, a 1922 Australian sixpence, four Dutch East Indies silver coins, a Dutch silver ten cent, and two Swedish silver coins (25 and 10 ore). This is in addition to other coins. Total spent? $10. The lady there was telling me "oh, well yeah we have coins but they're just foreign coins" lol didn't have the heart to tell her "well yeah, thats right up my alley." The Canadian coins came in a $2 grab bag and it had $5-6 in face value alone lol. I got close to 2 ounces of silver.

If I'm not mistaken, Filipino coinage (at least the latest editions that used silver) were .750, Canadian coinage after WWI was .800 (prior was .920), the Dutch gulders were .720. Most British Commonwealth coinages I am familiar with usually come in .925, .800 or .500. I believe the .835 and .900 were largely dropped by European countries after World War I, with many dropping them before. Are you talking about a particular time period?

You're absolutely right, and for the "related / similar" coins that I consider to be (silver) dime equivalents, yes, there were many other grades used, and they add much more variety than would be allowed if one were to strictly go with traditional LMU pieces.

For most European countries, yes, their last issues would be during or just after WWI. But even within the strict definition, one can start with the French 1/2 francs of Napoleon (2.5g AR835), and actually continue until present day (US silver proof dimes are 2.5g AR900)

Here's a lovely silver dime from the US. Roosevelt's are one of my favorite series of coins.

6650572329_6b50b1b5c6_z.jpg

1946 MS65FB obv by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

6650575757_11bf409a3c_z.jpg

1946 MS65FB rev by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

First year of issue! :-)

That's also an interesting pedigree - I'm guessing a bank had just stockpiled a number of coins in their vault?

I'm not sure there are a lot of coins with this pedigree but I've not read any definite story behind it.