CoinPeople.com

Elizabeth Copper 1 Kopeek Coins

alexbq2

I decided to take a look at 1 kopeek coins. Based on the same source of information, 1 kopeek coins were minted:

- 1757 in Ekaterinburg and Sestroretsk (in Sestroretsk they were often made out of Swedish Ore).

- 1758 in Moscow (Almost all are overdates from 1757), Ekaterinburg and Sestroretsk (in Sestroretsk they were often made out of Swedish Ore).

- 1759 Ekaterinburg and Moscow

- 1760 and 1761 only Moscow

Unfortunately, no one in that discussion posted pictures. So I raided M-Dv archive. Not a lot of decent coins there, but there are some. Here are my guesses.

Let's start with Moscow:

1_4a969c61e5029.jpg

Also these 2:

p_4b8e2771bac0c.jpg

1_4f3b94b8e6fdc.jpg

Interesting that the above coin was sold at "Fritz Rudolf Kuenker GmbH" # 209 on 03.16.2012 for 750 EUR, and then on 11.18.2012 in Russia at "Империя" # 23 auction for 40000 RUB

Ekaterinburg (My Guess):

p_49f6fe21296ee.jpg

Sestroretsk (struck on an Ore):

1_50c894e443cdf.jpg

The above coin also traveled! On 12.18.2010 listed on Konros for 7000 RUB (no sale record on M-Dv), 09.15.2012 "Империя" # 22 listed for 30000-40000 estimate (no sale record on M-Dv), now can be purchased on Markov's upcoming auction, estimate 1000 USD.

p_49a86ba921d3d.jpgp_49a86ba91ea75.jpg

1_4f3b94b910640.jpg

Note the overdate on the 1758

And here's my coin:

958842.jpg

Not sure where to place this "ugly duckling":

1_4a9cdff9913b1.jpg

"Gorny & Mosch GmbH" # 183 (10.15.2009) sold for 300 EUR

This coin has to be from Sestroretsk as it's overstruck over Swedish ore.

917281.jpg

I admit I have trouble telling the difference even for the 2 kopek coins. Will have to take the time to look at them. All my other 1 kopek coins are of extremely poor condition. I thought I had a kopek coin that's 1760 over 57 but that seems rather unlikely now. Have to find that coin and take better photos.

Looking at the coins again, I think I may have messed up. I took the comment about 1758 Moscow mint overdate to be a sign that this is the Moscow mint coin. But I don't see why Ekaterinburg and Sestroretsk coins couldn't have 58/57 overdates. At the same time I see great deal of similarrities between the 1758 coins and Sestroretsk coins (more sure about Sestroretsk as it appears that only that mint was restriking Ore). As a result I just moved the coins around in the above post. See if that makes more sence.

these are my 1 kop. Missing 1760, but I got 2 in 1 -- 1761/0. What do you think re: mint?

1kop.jpg

Based on my guesses in the first post, I would say:

1757 - Ekaterinburg

1761 - Moscow (that's the easy one) :)

1759 - I would like to see a higher resolution image, but looks like Moscow

1758 - I can't tell since the crown did not make it and images are not high resolution enough to see the horse's mane.

How are you determining which coins were struck were? What are the clues that you are looking for on the head and in the horse's mane? Please share info. Thanks!

By conjecture! :)

As far as I know in 60 and 61 only Moscow mint was active, so no other options. If you look at the1759 that I lumped into Moscow mint. The horse's mane is very distinct and looks just like that on the 1761. And if you look at 1760 and 1759 the crowns are very similar. When I look at BKB's 1759 I think I see the same crown and the mane looks the same as Moscow coins.

Another "fact" is that Sestroretsk was presumably the only mint involved in overstriking Ore. So the first I coin posted from that series (in my opinion) has similar crown and the design of the wreath to the coins that follow, so I lumped them into the Sestroretsk group.

The 1757 coin is somewhat distinct in the design of the crown and some other elements, so I am guessing it is from Ekaterinburg. BKB's 1757 has a very similar crown, so perhaps its the same mint.

So basically I'm guessing a lot. :)

• 1 month later...
Based on my guesses in the first post, I would say: 1757 - Ekaterinburg 1761 - Moscow (that's the easy one) :) 1759 - I would like to see a higher resolution image, but looks like Moscow 1758 - I can't tell since the crown did not make it and images are not high resolution enough to see the horse's mane.

1758 is Ekaterinburg! You can tell by the dragon's tail.