CoinPeople.com

Canada's Own Flag, commemorative medal (Pearson)

Cool! What's the significance of Pearson?

Pearson was the prime minister during which whose time the current Canadian flag replaced the "red ensign" flag. He was previously the foreign affairs minister (US: secretary of state), and in that capacity had pushed for the creation of UN peacekeeping forces to defuse the Suez Crisis, for which he was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize. However, Egypt considered Canada not to be impartial on the basis of its flag, which like those (still) used by Australia, N.Z., and some other Commonwealth countries, had the Union Jack in its canton, and that was part of the push to create a flag that would represent an independent Canadian identity.

Pearson was the prime minister during which whose time the current Canadian flag replaced the "red ensign" flag. He was previously the foreign affairs minister (US: secretary of state), and in that capacity had pushed for the creation of UN peacekeeping forces to defuse the Suez Crisis, for which he was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize. However, Egypt considered Canada not to be impartial on the basis of its flag, which like those (still) used by Australia, N.Z., and some other Commonwealth countries, had the Union Jack in its canton, and that was part of the push to create a flag that would represent an independent Canadian identity.

Supurb update and a great read.....

I have to agree with that. Great info.

Fantastic answer, Kev! I had no idea! Do you guys get exposed to the US presidents of past much? I feel like I should know that as an ally of your great nation.

Fantastic answer, Kev! I had no idea! Do you guys get exposed to the US presidents of past much? I feel like I should know that as an ally of your great nation.

Thanks y'all!

As for exposure to US presidents - it would be limited for a non-history student. The only two I can think of what would be recognizable would be Washington (as first president, and general) and Lincoln (emancipation).

However, the grade 12 history curriculum in BC (20th century world history) does provide a fair bit of coverage of US presidents and significant policies / decisions associated with them: Wilson and his ideals for the LoN, Monroe Doctrine, Hoover - Dam and "chicken in every pot" (though it's questioned whether or not he himself actually said that), FDR - New Deal, TVA and other works, use of radio to communicate with the people direct, and WWII, JFK - Cuban Crisis, LBJ's Great Society, etc.

Teddy, Taft, Eisenhower, and Ford I don't recall being mentioned of 20th c. presidents, though.

• 1 month later...

More info from (member)-(ccg) The Wellings Mint was a private "mint" (I believe in Ontario) that made a lot of made-for-collector "collectables", similar to what the Franklin Mint does in the U.S.

On items like yours, there's often no real way to put a market value on it other than to try selling it and seeing what types of offers you receive.