CoinPeople.com

Art Noveau Medal Mintages

Does anyone know if the Monnais de Paris kept mintage figures of medals produced in the 19th century or if there are other sources for medal mintage figures for art nuveau pieces?

• 3 weeks later...

The best I've been able to find on medal mintages from the Monnaies de Paris lists them in total by metal but not individually by the artist. The military medals from Tonkin and Dahomey can be calculated as individual mintages but the rest have to remain somewhat speculative though one can make decent guesses based on the totals and surviving specimens and prices.

Here's one example of the charts from google book http://books.google.com/books?id=KpQKAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA509&dq=Exposition+Universelle+1889+m%C3%A9daille+monnayage&hl=en&sa=X&ei=-9ieT8DrD46O8wTY3sT7Dg&ved=0CFoQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=Exposition%20Universelle%201889%20m%C3%A9daille%20monnayage&f=false

I think the Token and Medal Society has a website somewhere -- not a member and not familiar with their inner workings. Someone there might have additional information to share with you.

I think the Token and Medal Society has a website somewhere -- not a member and not familiar with their inner workings. Someone there might have additional information to share with you.

The TAMS website can be found at: http://www.tokenandmedal.org/

No mintage figures and none listed in past journal articles that I have found after a quick look in the data I have online and that which I have not yet posted. (I'm web master for TAMS.)

Thanks Bill and Art. I've been checking with some TAMS members and some dealers but Art Nuveau hasn't been overky studied. My guess is that the mint kept those records at least at the time but whether or not they were preserved or published is another matter.