CoinPeople.com

Ukraine

SlavicScott

I am asking for more information on the circulation issues of Ukraine, since independence in 1992.

(to begin with, what is the correct spelling of the various forms?? I have seen kopiika, kopikya, kopijk, etc)

according to the website of the National Bank of Ukraine, coins were issued as follows:

1 kopiika

1992, 1994, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2003.

I have the underlined dates, along with 2004

2 kopiikas

1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 2001.

I have the underlined dates, along with 2002, 2004

5 kopiikas

1992, 1996, 2001, 2003.

I have the underlined dates, along with 2004

10 kopiikas

1992, 1994, 1996, 2001, 2003.

I have the underlined dates, along with 2002

I have pending 1994, 2004

25 kopiikas

1992, 1994, 1996, 2001.

I have the underlined dates

I have pending 1996

my 2002 Krause also lists 1995?

50 kopiikas

1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2001.

I have the underlined dates

:ninja: If the website mentioned above lists the 2003 issues, then why are the 2002 issues not mentioned? And were there other denominations released in 2002, besides the 2k & 10k?

;) I have heard that the 1996 issues are uncommon, or maybe scarce? I struggle to find any dates, so I don't know if it is just coincidence that I have no 1996 issues or not.

;) I also notice that the issues of 2001- have a mintmark on the obverse, to the right of the date. What mint is this for? Where were the earlier issues without a mintmark minted?

:lol: I would like to get some additional input to get some definitive lists of what dates were minted. (and of course, I would be interested in any date/denomination that I don't have in my collection)

Well, on the coin the names are spelled "Kopijka" or "Kopijok" and "H(/G)rivnja".

See this website, it has an answer for allmost every question of yours: http://www.coins2001.narod.ru/nis/ukr/eyear.htm

:ninja:

Well, on the coin the names are spelled "Kopijka" or "Kopijok" and "H(/G)rivnja".

See this website, it has an answer for allmost every question of yours: http://www.coins2001.narod.ru/nis/ukr/eyear.htm

Tane,

Thanks for the link. I have his page bookmarked for the Russian stuff, but never really looked around enough to find the Ukrainian stuff.

So, then if my cyrillic is right, we have 1 kopijka, 2 kopijky, and 5 kopijok?

Back to that site to do some more exploring.

Tane,

Thanks for the link.  I have his page bookmarked for the Russian stuff, but never really looked around enough to find the Ukrainian stuff.

Glad, if i could help you :ninja:

So, then if my cyrillic is right, we have 1 kopijka, 2 kopijky, and 5 kopijok?

Back to that site to do some more exploring.

Yep, but to me it looks like 2 Kopijki.

Ask someone to whom Ukraine is near and dear:

scan0003.jpg

1 and 2 Kopiika coins are very rarely seen in circulation, 5 K. is usually the smallest denomination coin in circulation, roughly a USA cent. I only ever managed to find a couple of the 1 K coins, and a few other 2 K coins. When I got them I asked for them from a change tray, instead of 5 K coins.

Spelling, Ukrainian "i" is equivalent of russian "и" й is the same in both languages, which is equivalent of y in English.

Special attention needs to be paid to the pronunciation of consonants which differ from each other, ie in Ukrainian "г" which is "g" in the west is most often pronounced "h".

Now Ukraine, especially western and southern part, mandates that all documents be in Ukrainian and NOT Russian. This is a pain when you are used to Russian but not Ukrainian. Even in Ukraine it is very easy to go to regions where there are hardly any Ukrainian speakers, a lot of people in the "Red East" speak only Russian.

BTW I saw only a few 1996 coins in circulation, most of them even in 2001 were earlier dates, usually 1992 or lesser 1994. Varieties even in the same year with regards to the milling on the coins, and even the metal composition are common.

With regards to mintmark, the mint set of 2001 states that the mintmark is of the National Bank of Ukraine, but this is not attached to a location. Prior to 1998 all Ukrainian coins were minted in a temporary facility in Lu'hansk. After 1998 all coins are minted in the new mint facility in Kyiv.