CoinPeople.com

1930 Pacific American International Exposition

So you never heard of the 1930 Pacific American International Exposition held in Portland, Oregon? That might be because it was planned but never held because the Depression intervened. A private party had medals struck from metal salvaged from the U.S.S. Battleship Oregon bearthed in Portland as a floating museum. The ship was recommissioned for World War II and then broken up for scrap after the war. Only her mast survives in a Portland park. The medal is cataloged as a so-called dollar, Hibler & Kappen 459. Bronze, 34mm.

1004414.jpg

You own part of a battleship... so cool. I wonder what other famous ships have been cast into medals.

The Goverment of Palau has issued coins, for famous Battleships.

2008 $10 Yamato (Japan)

2008 $10 Missouri (USA)

2008 $10 Bismark (Germany)

2008 $10 HMS Prince of Wales (Great Britian)

2008 $10 Marat (USSR)

2010 $500 same as above

As for exo/numismatic items made from ships...

HMS Victory - various bronze medals and medallets were made in 1906 or so for the centenary (Battle of Trafalgar, I think) They're quite readily available.

SS Beaver (early trading steamship of the Pacific Northwest) - various bronze medals and medallets, some incorporated into jewelry and accessories.

I'd never heard of the 1930 Pacific American International Exposition in Oregon but it was before my time. :grin:

Neat medal and the info on other medals cast from salvage from famous ships is quite interesting. I'll bet there are quite a few more. I wonder if anyone specializes in such items.

Yes, there are other "made from" or "cast from" pieces. I've never really kept my own list since I don't collect them as a topic, but they are always of interest. One friend, however, notes that one must be careful. When you buy a gold coin struck from gold salavaged from "...." that might mean a bit of salvaged gold was mixed with a vat of other gold. The lesson--struck from might not mean exactly what you think it means.

Archived