CoinPeople.com

I try to be a serious numismatist, but every time I see Louis XVIII's head on a coin or jeton I can't help thinking what a porker that man was. France has had some chubby monarchs, but I think Louis XVIII tips the scales, or breaks them.

One of the harder ones to come by. Silver jeton /medal struck in 1862 for La Compagnie Francaise D'Assurances Maritimes.

1038257.jpg

I've a couple of these. here's one of them

990026.jpg

While there doesn't appear to be any `assurance' related items in this particular auction, there are some nice jetons de presence that are well worth a bid or three.

However, I'm not sure i like the auction format being used. You submit a `bid sheet' via sixbid and the auction house then gets back to you telling you what you would need to bid to get the items.

One had a start price of 10 euro, which struck me as being exceptionally low for the type. However after placing a bid on it (along with a few others) I was quickly advised by email that i had been outbid.......and that it would need a bid of at least 140 euro.

Presumably if i placed a further bid at say 150 euro they would then get back to the person i'd outbid and tell them what they'd need to bid in order to outbid me.....and so on ad infinitum. It isn't quite the typical `electronic' auction that i've become accustomed to (and possibly spoilt by).

i've finally managed to figure out my new scanner.....almost.

Here's a relatively difficult to find silver jeton /medalet issued by the Lloyd maritime assurance syndicate in Marseille

1047816.jpg

this one was struck for the French maritime assurer `L'Eole'.

1047815.jpg

another maritime assurer. This one struck in 1868 for `La Mer'

1047814.jpg