CoinPeople.com
Sign in to follow this  
KurtS

Athens, owl tetradrachm

You're really sliding down a slippery slope of chequebook destruction! Ancients will send you to the poorhouse if you are not careful.

You're really sliding down a slippery slope of chequebook destruction! Ancients will send you to the poorhouse if you are not careful.

True... But they are sooo pretty :)

True... But they are sooo pretty :)

I know that all too well. Actually the Owl was my first significant ancient purchase - it is one of those awesome ancients that is so emblematic of a whole era of human history.

Thanks--I agree this is an iconic coin, one I've wanted to own for years.

You're really sliding down a slippery slope of chequebook destruction!
This didn't set me back too far compared to most owl tets offered--but yes, it's not a coin I would buy every month;--you're welcome to guess the price paid. :)

The other Greeks I've pictured are comparable in price to Romans in better grades, and cheaper than many US "classic" coins--I purchase carefully.

Posted 01 May 2012

I would like first to ask you about the approximate estimated value of this nice Tetradrachm.

Then , I wish you could tell me please about the means of detecting the place or the city where an owl tetradrachm Tyre had been struck ( like Athens or Tyre or Alexandria .. ) . Thanks .

here's a couple i have.

this one has an added bit of a crescent in the reverse. Not sure as to the cause of it, but unusual.

971962.jpg

this one is a slightly earlier example, well worn and with a test cut, but is is a well centred strike.....and it was relatively cheap.

971100.jpg

here's a couple i have.

this one has an added bit of a crescent in the reverse. Not sure as to the cause of it, but unusual.

971962.jpg

this one is a slightly earlier example, well worn and with a test cut, but is is a well centred strike.....and it was relatively cheap.

971100.jpg

Beautiful coins Ian. Wish I had one in my collection but I never had the patience to learn about the ancients.

I've collected in many different aspects of `numismatics', but for me the most fulfilling is and continues to be the study / collection of ancients. it's very definitely a `work in progress' .

It's never too late to take up the cudgel Art! ;)

Posted 01 May 2012

I would like first to ask you about the approximate estimated value of this nice Tetradrachm.

Then , I wish you could tell me please about the means of detecting the place or the city where an owl tetradrachm Tyre had been struck ( like Athens or Tyre or Alexandria .. ) . Thanks .

I would say the one in the original posting is original, VF, a slight bankers mark on the cheek, and the eta mostly off flan. I'd say around $700 for one of those.

Ian, that's a nice group! :bthumbsup:

My coin has a few little issues; I bought it recently for $500. I feel that was a good price.

I wish you could tell me please about the means of detecting the place or the city where an owl tetradrachm Tyre had been struck ( like Athens or Tyre or Alexandria .. ) . Thanks .
"Imitative" owl tetradrachms, struck in the Levant or Egypt, are determined by stylistic differences. There are small, but important details on my coin that I believe are indicative of minting in Athens. It is also full weight (17.12gr), also a good sign.

Thanks for the article -- narrowed down the years for my owl.