CoinPeople.com
KurtS

Syracuse, Agathokles, AE24

6888427925_4599679208_b.jpg

Sicily, Syracuse. Agathokles. 317-289 BC. AE24 Litra. Period 4, circa 295 BC. SWTEIRA, head of Artemis right, in triple-pendant earring & necklace, quiver over shoulder. Reverse, Winged thunderbolt, AGAQOKLEOS above, BASILEOS below 9.58 gr

Nice coins. Is that Artemis or Persephone?

Syracusan coins are my favourite ancients, very reflective of a culture that valued artistry. Thanks for sharing your acquisition.

Many thanks for posting, it's a wonderful coin. Having been to Syracuse really makes me want to own a coin from there!

What I wonder abut Artemis versus Perspehone is how did the author of the reference book decide because on some of these coins their images are pretty similar and there don't appear to be any obvious attributes

What I wonder abut Artemis versus Perspehone is how did the author of the reference book decide because on some of these coins their images are pretty similar and there don't appear to be any obvious attributes

Artemis usually has her little quiver of arrows at the back of her neck as on the above coin, and the example I have:

sirakusa1.jpg

While Persephone is depicted thusly:

sirakusa5.jpg

And yet another depiction of Persephone:

sirakusa3.jpg

Aha! Thanks, I didn't notice that quiver.