CoinPeople.com

Numismatic books

Sir Sisu

I have ordered “Münzenkatalog.ch” (2006) by HANS WARTENWEILLER

Swiss Coin Catalog 1798-2005. In three languages (German, French and ENGLISH!). 680 color images, 180 pages, much detailed information! This replaces the old Meier Katalog format with a new international edition.

I'd guess it'll be here Monday or Tues.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Manuel de Numismatique Francaise, IV, Monnaies Feodales Francaises

by A. Dieudonne (Editions Auguste Picard, Paris. 1936)

Numismatique Medievale

by Marc Bompaire and Francoise Dumas (Brepols, Turnhout, Belgium. 2000)

Not many pictures and I don't read French! Slow going, but I use them as references in research and translate what I need as I need it. Time for me to retire and take a French class.

I have ordered “Münzenkatalog.ch” (2006)  by HANS WARTENWEILLER

Swiss Coin Catalog 1798-2005. In three languages (German, French and ENGLISH!). 680 color images, 180 pages, much detailed information! This replaces the old Meier Katalog format with a new international edition.

I'd guess it'll be here Monday or Tues.

I did get it today. It's very nice. It's very much like our redbook as far as photos and information.

I ordered "Provenance Gallery of the Year 1794 United States Large Cents" by Al Boka (not here yet), and picked up a new 2006 Krause.

I ordered "Provenance Gallery of the Year 1794 United States Large Cents" by Al Boka (not here yet), and picked up a new 2006 Krause.

Boka's book is wonderful. I hope that you enjoy it.

Boka's book is wonderful. I hope that you enjoy it.

Your great review earlier in this thread sure helped me :ninja:

I just bought a 2000 krause catalog of world coins for $5.00. It is out of date but great for identification.

I think you got a good deal on that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Provisional Token Coinage of the 18th Century - Dalton & Hamer. It's the 1996 Davisson's reprint, brand new. This is the "bible" for Conder Token collectors.

I got my tax refund and bought some books (and some coins!). The first arrived today:

burdette.jpg

The publisher's blurb is at:

http://www.signature-book.com/New2Books/burdette.htm

This is the first (actually the third) of three planned volumes (1905-1908 and 1909-1915 will complete the trio) on the redesign of American coins from 1905 through 1921. I no longer collect American coins, but this caught my eye. It doesn't seem to be well known and I find that a little puzzling. It seems to be well done at first glance. I've only sampled through it so far, but I'm impressed with what I've read so far. Its worth a look if you collected Liberty walkers, standing liberty quarters, mercs, or Peace dollars.

My second purchase arrived today, A California Gold Rush History featuring the treasure from the S. S. Central America by Q. David Bowers, inscribed and signed. I love his books and I needed another 11 pounds to balance the 10 Roman Imperial Coins volumes that will be arriving next.

Just to show its not all about coins, I also received a first edition (rebound) copy of Ramsy's 1853 History of Tennessee. It has the earliest reference to my Hyder lineage that I know of in print. Michael Hyder was a Wataugan, one of the earliest settlements in eastern Tennessee. His house, built pre-revolutionary war survives to this day. He made gun powder that helped arm the rebels that fought the British in the Revolutionary War and fought himself with the Over Mountain Men (think in a very general way about the farmer fighters portrayed in The Patriot). Danial Boone negotiated the purchase of their land from the Cherokee and Davy Crocket's grandfather and Michael fought together defending their homes from Cherokee attack a few days before the war officially began after they refused to side with the British (they were west of the line that defined the colonies and therefore on their own). I could go on, but I haven't figured out what would form a colonial era east Tennessee coin collection as yet. Its an idea that bounces around the back of my head every now and then.

Nice purchases and a fun use of the tax refund. I have the Bower's California Gold Rush - it's so heavy that it makes it difficult read.

• 1 month later...

Bought a boatload of books from the ANA that arrived this passed week.

The new ANA Grading Standards

World of Money CD-ROM

Gold Coins of the World 7th Edition

Italian Cast Coinage

Coin World Alamanac Millenium Edition

Goethe's Italian Renaissance Medals

The Works of Victor David Brenner

Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The one day San Francisco Historical Bourse was held today. Only about 14 dealers, but all specializing in ancients and it seemed busy all day long. I hope the dealers had a good day so that it gains in strength. The two day show typically held this time of year had slowly collapsed.

In addition to two coins, I cam home with two books:

The Barbaric Tremissis in Spain and Southern France Anastasius to Leovigild by Wallace J. Tomasini (ANS Museum Notes and Monographs, 152 -- 1964). I don't own any of these coins and have been tempted from time to time. Now I can learn something about them.

The second book I've scanned from time to time lusting after the quality of the photography, so I broke down today and bought one:

Roman Coins by J.P.C. Kent with photographs by Max and Albert Hirmer. (Abrams 1978).