US Gold - 8 entries

US Silver - 8 entries

US Copper - 8 entries

US Other - 8 entries

World Gold - 16 entries

World Silver - 32 entries

World Copper - 16 entries

World Other - 32 entries

Any thoughts on the general categories? Keeping in mind that I need 8 or 16 or 32 or 64 or etc to make a category.

I am also planning on requiring Omnicoin pictures again. I just think it made the competitions look better and put the coins on a similar footing.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Do you plan on entering?

Besides the "Ancient" category suggested in the topic below (BTW, what's the time frame proposed?), i would like to see a odd coin (holed, odd shaped, bimetalic, colorized,etc) category, but its probably just my curiosity to know what type of "strange" coins people prefer...

A error coin and/or exonumia categories would be fun too, but i don't think that will be enough entries.

...and of course, i'll enter PCI 5... ;)

Jose :ninja:

I can enter some coins indeed. I've got four on hand ready for you. Three world silver and a world gold coin at your disposal.

Might be prudent to split 'World Other', into Ancient, Bi-met, Exnuwhatsit, Commem and maybe a 'non-round coin' category?

That'd give you the right number of World categories as it'll conform to the rule of 8.

It also might drum up more entries too, many people wouldn't bother entering an odd shaped coin but if there's a category there, they'll think, wow i had a 12 sided coin somewhere, or a diagonal, or a heptaganol etc.

Many members cried out for an ancient category (which could include hammered too if needs be). There's nearly always a few commems involved, bi-met coins turn up. Tokens occasionally, but if Conder and Eleverno are on hand an exnuwhatsit category could fill up pretty quick, i could probably supply two entries to such a section of needs be.

Entry wise i'd go for;

Ancient - 8 entries

Bi-met - 8 entries

Exnuwhatsit - 8 entries

Commem - 8 entries

non-round coins - 8 entries

Just a thought. Obviously i realise the workload that might be involved but it's possible, trust me i know.

Of course if a category gets less entries than you can expect you can always run it as a 4 coin category, or even as a 2 coin category

That is true or even a 1 coin category :ninja: but there is less and less sense of competiton or suspense as we go to smaller numbers than 8. If there are only two coins or 4 for a category, I might as well pit them against each other under the umbrella of an 'Other' category.

Besides the "Ancient" category suggested in the topic below (BTW, what's the time frame proposed?), i would like to see a odd coin (holed, odd shaped, bimetalic, colorized,etc) category, but its probably just my curiosity to know what type of "strange" coins people prefer...

A error coin and/or exonumia categories would be fun too, but i don't think that will be enough entries.

...and of course, i'll enter PCI 5... :lol:

Jose ;)

Good ideas. I would like to see tons of different categories if there are enough entries.

As for a time frame, I don't like to rush, and I like to give everyone a chance to participate. :ninja: I suspect that I will have a call for contestants in a week or two after a little discussion of categories and such. Then I will start to take entries. I take entries until the categories fill up to an appropriate multiple of 8 and only then do I begin the competitions. I think I only had to beg a few times last PCI. ;)

Last season, we had the following categories with the number of entries shown:

US Gold - 8 entries

US Silver - 8 entries

US Copper - 8 entries

US Other - 8 entries

World Gold - 16 entries

World Silver - 32 entries

World Copper - 16 entries

World Other - 32 entries

Some more stats...

Number of people entering

US - 6 people entered 32 coins

World - 14 people entered 96 coins

Entry wise i'd go for;

Ancient - 8 entries

Bi-met - 8 entries

Exnuwhatsit - 8 entries

Commem - 8 entries

non-round coins - 8 entries

Are you thinking of that as a break down of the world category or what?

I was thinking of having something along the lines of...

US

- Gold

- Silver

- Copper

- Other

World

- Gold

- Silver

- Copper

- Other

Ancient

(Break it down into Roman, Greek, etc if needed)

Exonumia

(Break it down into tokens, medals, etc if needed)

Those 4 are kind of nice broad categories of the hobby.

The 'Other' US and World categories could be broken down into Commem, Off metal, Bimet, etc as needed). I pretty much informally broke the Other categories down during PCI4...pitting like coins against like coins (commem vs. commem, etc) as I was able to.

I actually really like your new method of having, US, World, Ancient and Exnuwhatsit. This is what this competition is all about evolving and coming up with better methods, as you'll note none of the PCIs thus far have worked exactly the same. As long as you don't go back to the PCI-1 system of just pairing up left right and centre then you'll not get too many complaints. :ninja:

I often wondered whether there was a better way to categorise. Initially we split it by metal simply because some people considered a gold coin going against a copper coin unfair because many expect the gold coin to walk off with it. But having witnessed how these competitions work i don't think that would be the truth anyhow, i think there'd probably be a good fight there.

I noticed alot of people equally seem to vote age over beauty (like me). So i was wondering maybe a by century breakdown would be a totally new approach? Perhaps the US/World designations could be scrapped and they could finally be integrated into one bigger competition, i think we have enough Darksiders here to warrant this viable.

Perhaps;

1) Ancient BC-500AD (8 entries)

2) Medieval 500-1500 (8 entries)

3) 16/17th century (8 entries)

4) 18th century (8 entries)

5) 19th century (16 entries)

6) 1901-1949 (16 entries)

7) 1950-present (32 entries)

8) Exnuwhatsit. (8 entries)

Any comments?

... So i was wondering maybe a by century breakdown would be a totally new approach? Perhaps the US/World designations could be scrapped and they could finally be integrated into one bigger competition, i think we have enough Darksiders here to warrant this viable.

I love the idea, but due to the membership makeup of this site, I think it is still best to have the US as a seperate category. The entries are few enough to warrent intergration into a single WORLD category. However, I think the familiarity of US coinage for some will always give it an edge.

That said, if the entries are few, I think it could be considered though.

Good ideas. I would like to see tons of different categories if there are enough entries.

So would I! ;)

As for a time frame, I don't like to rush, and I like to give everyone a chance to participate. :ninja: I suspect that I will have a call for contestants in a week or two after a little discussion of categories and such. Then I will start to take entries. I take entries until the categories fill up to an appropriate multiple of 8 and only then do I begin the competitions. I think I only had to beg a few times last PCI. ;)

I think the timing might be good now also. Summer is ending, time has elapsed such that new candidates may have been acquired, etc.

I look forward to entering some of my trash! :lol:

i think we have enough Darksiders here to warrant this viable.

With the way the forum has gone in about the last year and the way the entries went in the last PCI, I think it may be the US that now needs the 'protection' of its own Division. :ninja:

The only problem I see with the date categories is that I think we will have a very diminished pool of posters who will enter the first 4 (and maybe 5) categories and the last category and a clump who will enter in the 6 and 7 spots.

But I am interested in what others may think about it and especially what they might be able to enter in however it gets broken up.

It's always tough, i intially sided against date category splits because i knew the later dates would be more heavily represented, but even if you split it by metal silver and copper still come way out on top and all the others go out under represented.

Token and Misc categories are a pain in the backside to get filled.

I was just thinking 18th could cover token, colonial coinage, regular 18th century coinage and exonumia as well. Quite a bit going there.

Medieval could most likely be merged with ancient.

Perhaps date categories 1-2 could be merged and 3-4 could be merged.

Leaving you two spare categories to find, one being US 18th/19th and the other being US 20th/21st.

I was thinking of having something along the lines of...

US

- Gold

- Silver

- Copper

- Other

World

- Gold

- Silver

- Copper

- Other

Where would one enter e.g. a Zlincoln? or a modern, copper plated steel 1/2/5 euro cent? or a bronze coin?

in "Copper" or in "other"?

Technically these would all fall in "other", but I recall seeing coins like that being entered in "copper" last time

I think a Zincoln would best fall under "other".

Semi-copper coins could be entered under "copper", but I can almost guarantee that a true copper would win, especially since the type of coins that you are referring to are more modern. I would put them in "other".

I think a Zincoln would best fall under "other".

Semi-copper coins could be entered under "copper", but I can almost guarantee that a true copper would win, especially since the type of coins that you are referring to are more modern. I would put them in "other".

It has often kind of gone by the look of the coin. A US nickel has way more copper than nickel but it doesn't look copper so it goes in the Other.

Probably most often, though, I just put them where people entered them as I don't always know.

I agree with Stujoe i used to do it on appearance also. Most colour, if it looked copper colour it went in copper. If it was silver or some shade of grey than it went in silver.

Gold was the only category i used to avoid putting gold coloured coins into, simply because a brass coin just doesn't cut it. And thus these would be stuck in other.

How about a totally new category: Most Popular Circulating Series?

A valid entry would consist of all denominations of a series for a single year; CLTs are included (e.g. US bicentennial coins), but not NCLTs. Mintmarks are disregarded.

The whole series could be pictured as a single picture onto Omnicoin (obverses and reverses) like a normal single coin. Whether mint sets are allowed to be entered as such can be debated here.

What do you all think?

How about a totally new category: Most Popular Circulating Series?

A valid entry would consist of all denominations of a series for a single year; CLTs are included (e.g. US bicentennial coins), but not NCLTs. Mintmarks are disregarded.

The whole series could be pictured as a single picture onto Omnicoin (obverses and reverses) like a normal single coin. Whether mint sets are allowed to be entered as such can be debated here.

What do you all think?

Hmmm, that is an interesting idea. Maybe it could be part of the catch all 'Other' cateogies) or a new category all to itself.

If the idea was expanded upon as a 'Set Competition', it could maybe be a whole new Competition Feature. A online 'collection' competition. Similar to the Exhibits that are shown and judged at the large coin shows in the US.

http://www.pnna.org/exhibits/exhibits_howto.html

Archived