CoinPeople.com

English coins

Moocat

Hi, as stated in a previous thread, I am new here so treat me kindly.

I have unearthed some beautiful coins from a jewellery box, passed down to us after a bereavement.

1 - George V half sovereign

2 - Seven small coins in a gold coloured bracelet, all George V, with different head images. On the rear it simply say "1_12 ANNA INDIA" with dates ranging from 1917 to 1950

3 - A silver coin in a necklace - Queen Victoria head with latin writing on the front, Victoria Dei Gratia Britt Regina VD; the rear has four separate symbols, 3 lions etc wording is - Mal.Y.Pense, dated 1887.

4 - All Queen Victoria coins the number 3 (pence) on the rear with the crown above; all separately dated 1887 through to 1901.

5 - George V three pence coins, dated 1917, 1919, 1920 and 1934.

6 - George VI 3 pence silver coins dated 1937, 1938 and 1940.

7 - Queen Victoria One Shilling silver coin dated 1893

8 - Queen Victoria One Shilling silver coin dated 1881

9 - United States Silver One Dime dated 1916

10 - Queen Victoria Full silver sovereign, dated 1887

11 - George VI silver sixpence, dated 1943

Does anyone have any idea on value? I am new to this and I am wondering if I need to insure my property for a bit more security.

Does anyone have any idea on value? I am new to this and I am wondering if I need to insure my property for a bit more security.

It all depends on condition. Photographs would help.

Welcome to CoinPeople, moocat! :art:

Funny ... my niece, when she was about 2 yrs. old, would call any kind of animal a "deer". So when we drove past cows in a pasture, she would exclaim: "Look ... moo-deer!" :lol:

Now, what might a "moo-cat" be ... ???

<snip>

</snip>

Is there a mintmark on the dime? Look on the reverse at the bottom left of the fasces. If it says "D", you're in luck -- regardless of condition!

Is there a mintmark on the dime? Look on the reverse at the bottom left of the fasces. If it says "D", you're in luck -- regardless of condition!

To be more exact... the D mint mark will be between the E in "ONE" and the cut end of the olive branch, between 6 and 7 o'clock. Use a magnifier; there could be an S (San Francisco), a D (Denver), or nothing at all there (Philadelphia).

If there is a D present that makes it a 1916-D dime and that is a major rarity--the holy grail of 20th century US dimes; according to my Red Book the value will be over a thousand dollars no matter how badly worn it is.

If you find that you have one of these, do NOT attempt to clean the coin no matter how dirty or tarnished it may be. Unless you know what you are doing, you will damage the coin and that will reduce whatever value it has; it could make a 5 thousand dollar coin a 2 thousand dollar coin or worse. And believe me if you are here asking these questions, you don't know what you are doing. I know that I wouldn't know what I was doing and I wouldn't dare try it, so I am not saying this to be condescending but to impress on you the importance of NOT attempting to clean the coin under ANY circumstances.

(I have heard stories of coin dealers, etc., urging people not to clean some a coin before bringing it in for appraisal, and them doing so anyway and destroying tens of thousands of dollars of value--boy are they disappointed but they have no one to blame but themselves--they ignored good advice.)

Here is hoping you have a 1916-D and that it is of a high grade... that thousand dollars was for a very low grade example and the value increases geometrically as the grade improves.

I won't send a photo of every coin. Which ones do you want to see?

Well, for a photo, every one.

There's no need to send a photo to anyone. Just upload them to a site such as PhotoBucket, TinyPic, etc. and then post them here.

I have unearthed some beautiful coins from a jewellery box, passed down to us after a bereavement.

1 - George V half sovereign

2 - Seven small coins in a gold coloured bracelet, all George V, with different head images. On the rear it simply say "1_12 ANNA INDIA" with dates ranging from 1917 to 1950

3 - A silver coin in a necklace - Queen Victoria head with latin writing on the front, Victoria Dei Gratia Britt Regina VD; the rear has four separate symbols, 3 lions etc wording is - Mal.Y.Pense, dated 1887.

4 - All Queen Victoria coins the number 3 (pence) on the rear with the crown above; all separately dated 1887 through to 1901.

5 - George V three pence coins, dated 1917, 1919, 1920 and 1934.

6 - George VI 3 pence silver coins dated 1937, 1938 and 1940.

7 - Queen Victoria One Shilling silver coin dated 1893

8 - Queen Victoria One Shilling silver coin dated 1881

10 - Queen Victoria Full silver sovereign, dated 1887

11 - George VI silver sixpence, dated 1943

Hi

Even in top condition maybe £500 (depending on the dime?) & the bulk of this for the 1 1/2 sovs.

Archived