CoinPeople.com

4 MORE VICTORIA CROWNED 1838

It has been a while since I posted any Vics, so here are 2 that have lying around for quite sometime. Nothing special but they are nice clean strikes, still in good condition.

013-1.jpg017-1.jpg

BHM 1828 Br 25mm R. The description in Brown states 'seated right' everything else matches so I believe it is just a mistake as clearly she is seated left. If not this is an unlisted reverse. The clipped planchet is pre-strike not post-strike damage.

EDIT. Because I have since seen an example of BHM#1828 I now know that this is an unlisted reverse.

015-1.jpg016.jpg

BHM 1858 Br 24mm C.

EDIT: Here are 2 more I just discovered that had gone missing.

014-1.jpg015.jpg

BHM# 1853 R. AE. R. AE. silvered R. 29mm. Unlisted in Br.

020.jpg021-1.jpg

Unlisted in BHM.

Very interisting medals, were these holed by the minters or done after the fact ?

Tom

These type of small medal/medalet were often sold both with or without a hole. The holed ones were sometimes supplied with a ribbon that was threaded through the hole so it could be worn. As a general rule(in this era) if the hole is very neat it means that the medal was supplied holed, if the hole is crudely done it was done after market with a nail punched through so the owner could hang it from a ribbon or chain etc to wear.

Here is an unholed example of BHM 1853 the third medal down posted above AE. Silvered R. 29mm. The medals are the same size, 29mm, the images posted are not.

967703.jpg

014-1.jpg015.jpg

Here are two more holed medals from a previous post

IMG_2936.jpgIMG_2937.jpg

BHM# #1862 RRR. Brass 24mm.

IMG_2939.jpgIMG_2940.jpg

Unlisted, almost as struck. Brass 24mm.

The last one I promise

960673.jpg

Queen Victoria Coronation Medal 1838. Unlisted in this size or metal. Same design as BHM#1861 RR. but that is brass 24mm. This is WM. 33mm so extremely rare.

• 5 years later...