CoinPeople.com

Scottish court refuses payment of fine in coins

ccg

Exactly the same when I get refused paying with Scottish banknotes here in England or trying to use a £50 outside of the South East. Admittedly the Scottish banknotes aren't legal tender outside of Scotland, but they should be in my opinion.

Truth be known, Scottish banknotes are not legal tender anywhere. The only brief times they had any sort of legal status was during WWI and WWII, but with the return to normalcy they are mere promissory notes. In a similar vain in England up until the nationalisation of Bank of England in 1946, the BoE notes were not legal tender.

The problem in Scotland is that indeed only coin are legal tender, but in amounts deemed to be "inconvenient" or a bother then the courts tend to side with their being a mere nuisance creation.

Curiously in pre-Euro Europe Scottish notes traded at a bit of a premium over English notes, and both traded above Northern Ireland notes - the latter were exchanged at a discount vs. all other sterling notes. I believe the reason that the Scots notes traded at a premium was that they had more efficient means of clearing their notes coming in from say Paris than BoE did.

Archived