CoinPeople.com

Boy, its tough

Mark Stilson

There are a lot to go through and since it's Round 2 the choices get harder and by Round 3 they'll be even harder (but there will be fewer to make). Hope you all enjoy.

I agree to the sentiments. There are a lot of great coins and more than once I've thought to myself (as I'm sure others have done) "oh great, I'm up against *that* coin?!"

All the hard work Art and the dead one have put into this are greatly appreciated, one of my favorite activities on this forum (besides periodically escaping the Asylum of course)...

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I keep looking at those Jetons and and medals and thinking how tough it will be at the end against those. I'm also thinking why didn't I put in this coin or that coin. One thing this reminded me was I really need to put my Barber in a tombstone. Kind of hate doing it, but just one grade difference on it can make a big money difference.

Okay, three months to go and we can have PCI 2012 :evilbanana:

We'll probably still be doing PCI2011 when the New Year rolls around. Lot of rounds to go, especially in Copper and Silver.

We'll probably still be doing PCI2011 when the New Year rolls around. Lot of rounds to go, especially in Copper and Silver.

Judging by the number of ties I'm seeing, we'll be doing tiebreaks until April! :)

Round 2 only has a few days left before voting closes. SO get out the vote gang.

I'm thinking that I'll do round 3 a bit different. I'm only going to release basically one group of coins at a time for voting. It's just too confusing having all of them up at once. So I was thinking.

Gold - Round 3

Silver - Round 3

Copper - Round 3

Everything Else - Round 3

If I leave each up for 3 days at the most it should work out ok timewise. I've been trying to make sure that voting was available over the weekend so things would get maximum exposure but I don't think it would be good to leave these open that long. It would take a month for Round 3. Then Round 4 another month, Round 5....too drawn out. I'll try three days for each Metal/Master Group.

Thoughts? Ideas? Complaints? Better way to do it? What? Something? Anything? :confus::confus::confus:

I'm away many weekends but I dont think I've missed a round yet...

Guys, Art's been the man behind ALL of this. He certainly doesn't take as much credit as he deserves. I contributed very little and only towards the beginning. Thanks for your thanks but direct them all towards Art in the future. Once school is over, I'll be able to help more.

One thing we're thinking of is having more of these contests but with a theme. They'll probably be smaller and shorter and be fillers between PCIs. Thoughts?

Round 2 only has a few days left before voting closes. SO get out the vote gang.

I'm thinking that I'll do round 3 a bit different. I'm only going to release basically one group of coins at a time for voting. It's just too confusing having all of them up at once. So I was thinking.

Gold - Round 3

Silver - Round 3

Copper - Round 3

If I leave each up for 3 days at the most it should work out ok timewise. I've been trying to make sure that voting was available over the weekend so things would get maximum exposure but I don't think it would be good to leave these open that long. It would take a month for Round 3. Then Round 4 another month, Round 5....too drawn out. I'll try three days for each Metal/Master Group.

Thoughts? Ideas? Complaints? Better way to do it? What? Something? Anything? :confus::confus::confus:

Maybe not going to do this. I've laid some out on a calendar and it stretches things way way out. We'll be doing round 5 in 2012. I'll keep working on it and come up with a better plan.

I'm away many weekends but I dont think I've missed a round yet...

Guys, Art's been the man behind ALL of this. He certainly doesn't take as much credit as he deserves. I contributed very little and only towards the beginning. Thanks for your thanks but direct them all towards Art in the future. Once school is over, I'll be able to help more.

One thing we're thinking of is having more of these contests but with a theme. They'll probably be smaller and shorter and be fillers between PCIs. Thoughts?

Not necessary. Just filling in for George while he's caring for school, work, family and that sort of thing. He's still the PCI2011 guy, he's just delegating a lot.

Gold - Round 3

Silver - Round 3

Copper - Round 3

Intermediate suggestion--put silver and "everything else" in one week, and copper and gold in the next week--Round 3 would then take two weeks. (Or switch them around in some other combo that makes the amounts both weeks similar.) Then, round 4 (and all subsequent rounds) can be in one week, because we'll be down to something like 1/16th of the original quantity of entries (plus ties).

This will keep the number of threads down to less than two pages' worth, for each remaining week. Anything more than that becomes really, really unwieldy. (I also suggested putting multiple polls in one thread like was done for "other precious metals" but I don't know if no one saw the suggestion or they decided it wasn't the best way to proceed. But I still think that might also be a feasible way to cut down on the sheer mass of threads to follow.)

Thanks to both Art and TheDeadPoint for all of this.

One last question: Does each class have its own winner or will they all be competed head to head to find a single grand champion?

Intermediate suggestion--put silver and "everything else" in one week, and copper and gold in the next week--Round 3 would then take two weeks. (Or switch them around in some other combo that makes the amounts both weeks similar.) Then, round 4 (and all subsequent rounds) can be in one week, because we'll be down to something like 1/16th of the original quantity of entries (plus ties).

This will keep the number of threads down to less than two pages' worth, for each remaining week. Anything more than that becomes really, really unwieldy. (I also suggested putting multiple polls in one thread like was done for "other precious metals" but I don't know if no one saw the suggestion or they decided it wasn't the best way to proceed. But I still think that might also be a feasible way to cut down on the sheer mass of threads to follow.)

Thanks to both Art and TheDeadPoint for all of this.

One last question: Does each class have its own winner or will they all be competed head to head to find a single grand champion?

I like the multiple polls in one thread idea and will give it a try on round three for at least on catagory.

As far as the split -- sounds good. Silver and Copper are the biggest catagories so keeping them apart should help quite a bit. The fall off isn't nearly as great as I expected as we have way more ties this time around.

There will be one winner for each of the Metals and then a runoff to chose an overall Idol.

I think that perhaps having a monthly themed contest (perhaps animals for one month, natural scenery for another, etc.) would be a great idea! I'll throw in some prizes.

This could be a lot of fun. I'm still hammering out a plan and will put something up for comments/ideas/jokes/etc. near the end of PCI. I have a thread going for Columbus Day celebration and wanted to see the responses there. It could help with some of the ideas I'm mulling over.

This will keep the number of threads down to less than two pages' worth, for each remaining week.

What I originally wanted to do is have a separate subforum for each of the "trees". That would have cut down on the number of pages. Unfortunately, it was too difficult to get that up and running before PCI.

yea sounds like fun

was there not a PCI for british coins last year

There was but I doubt there will be one this year. (The year is quickly drawing to a close.) Maybe a good idea for next year if things can get organized and moving earlier. Or perhaps a British theme or two for some monthly contests.

I'm trying multiple contests within a single thread to see if keeping the number of threads down is better than having more pictures to look at in each voting thread. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

I liked it. But does "no vote" mean the person might come back and vote? Would they delete their vote and then revote for the 2 or 3 groups?

Anything is possible right up until the thread is closed. It gives a person a way to vote for one item out of the group or whatever.

Archived