CoinPeople.com

Bank of England: Emergency Dollar

skouznet

Hi all,

I've recently added an emergency dollar with oval type countermark of George III to my collection:

Y1795gbDollar_stamp.jpg

I heard that this type countermark was stamped from 1797 to 1803. Is it true?

And ... can someone please tell me where the coin was countermarked, in Soho?

Thanks in advance,

SVK

All I know is that the stamps were similar to those used for marking plate at Goldsmith's Hall and that the Bank of England bought the dollars before getting them stamped. We know that the issues that followed suit were minted by Boulton at Soho but I cannot find any specific references that point to where the oval countermarks were issued.

So I suspect it was done at the Bank of England. As no large-scale machinery was needed it would've been possible in the confines of the walls.

I'll keep looking and ask around.

All I know is that the stamps were similar to those used for marking plate at Goldsmith's Hall

Just to clarify and elaborate on this point...

The oval marks bearing a sovereign's head were stamped on sterling silver items passing through all assay offices between 1784 and 1890. Their purpose was to denote that the proper duty had been paid on an article of silver.

The set of hallmarks below from an 1811 spoon (London) includes the oval George III duty mark used between 1786 and 1821. Unfortunately, spoons tend to have their hallmarks applied on the back of the finial / top, especially for fiddle pattern, and so the marks tend to be "rubbed" on most pieces.

100_8460.JPG

First of all, thanks a lot to all of you for your comments.

Can somebody suggest me a book, article or web site related to the emergency coinage during the reign of George III?

Best regards,

SVK

SVK,

There are many books that mention the emergency coinage of George but few that cover it in great detail. Personally, I would urge you to see if you can borrow English Silver Coinage since 1649 by P. Alan Rayner. Otherwise I don't know of many other sources of information.

If you have any really specific questions it might be worth emailing Barrie Cook at the British Museum as he might be able to shed a bit more light on things than me.

Hope this helps!

Kindest regards,

Clive.

SVK,

There are many books that mention the emergency coinage of George but few that cover it in great detail. Personally, I would urge you to see if you can borrow English Silver Coinage since 1649 by P. Alan Rayner. Otherwise I don't know of many other sources of information.

If you have any really specific questions it might be worth emailing Barrie Cook at the British Museum as he might be able to shed a bit more light on things than me.

Hope this helps!

Kindest regards,

Clive.

Hi Clive,

That's the REAL HELP!!! Thank you very much!!! I've found the book that you recommended to me, so I will have it in few days :yahoo:

Here is another Emergency Dollar from my collection:

Y1804_gb_Dollar_r.jpg

Best regards,

Serguei

Archived