CoinPeople.com

Color and Luster

This image was slightly sharpened ("1") after downsizing it to 800x800. In my case the "specklies" are due to the LED lights being very small point sources. They go away if you diffuse the lights a bit...Ray

PS I just looked back and realized I posted this coin twice...sorry

Now that I know that you used only one increment of sharpness, I agree with you: it wouldn't be the cause of the "specklies"

I discovered to my annoyance (after processing a lot of pictures, including sharpening, contrast, and masking off the background and cropping, and making the image 800x800), that the software I do all of this with doesn't show the specklies as much as any other software. So when I look at a masked and cropped image later, it looks a LOT worse than it did when I was creating it, and all that effort gets wasted. Most of my images look like hell because of that. Fortunately I did save the "raw" file, so someday perhaps I will re-do them and _test_ the image in some sort of JPG viewer before I go to the cropping and masking.

I know what you mean about the variability using different viewers. Some of my images are stacked using CombineZP. The source images look better in CZP than in any other viewer I have used. No idea why. All my editing is done with Nikon ViewNX/NX2 and it seems to be fairly balanced in presentation. I usually check the images using Firefox as the viewer before posting to the web, figuring that many people use it or some other similar web browser that all have similar jpg viewing engines.

By the way, the ISO for the above images was 100, so that's also not a factor.

I am actually learning to like those "sparklies"...knowing where they come from and why helps a lot and they add to the local contrast and luster presentation.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've seen a number of the silver medals from this series with similar toning. They were all in their original Medallic Art boxes with the cotton padding intact and the folded information sheet enclosed. I suspect the toning is a product of the materials used at the time and being kept in that closed environment. I used an axial lighting setup and that creates the dark fields. The lighting was specifically chosen to bring out the range in color of the toning.

• 1 year later...